The Prince of Pinot Noir is retiring

Good friend and passionate Pinot Noir mate, Rusty Gaffney, is retiring. Here’s a really good and long history of this man’s love affair with Pinot Noir:

http://www.princeofpinot.com/article/2208/

A great guy and a terrific Pinot resource. His newsletter “The PinotFile” and most all of his content was available for free. Rusty described it as a “noble and thoroughly redeeming accomplishment”. It very much was!

Merci Rusty and best wishes.

RT

I’ve met Rusty a couple of times briefly at the Wine Cellar Club picking up wine. Seemed to be a really good guy. Best to him.

A very valuable and valued contributor to the pinot world, his thoughts will be missed, but best to him for sure, hope to meet one day.

Richard, Jeff, Mike et al, Rusty is putting it out there that he will help anyone who is interested in perpetuating the PinotFile. Its such a good resource for Oregon and California Pinots and Chards as well as producer profiles and tasting notes. I hope someone steps up and takes over.

Love Rusty’s site and have found it really useful. Enjoy retirement and you’re reviews will be missed!

I enjoyed reading his farewell letter yesterday. His musings will definitely be missed.

There’s another Cali physician we all know who posts prolifically on these very wines… [berserker.gif]

Just read the final issue. I’ve suggested to a friend (certified wine educator and newsletter writer) that he look into continuing the site. It looks like a lot of work, although you’d get to taste some good wines.

Stumbled on the Prince of Pinot I think via WB but can’t remember for sure. Have definitely enjoyed the reviews and perspective. Enjoy retirement Rusty!

Congrats Rusty! Enjoyed PinotFile for many years.

Also would nominate the board’s sole Jayhawk fan to run PinotFile 2.0!

Good one Chris although you misspelled soul.

I will miss the insight to pinot I gained. Thanks for all the work on our behalf Rusty.

A Prince and a Gentleman. Many years ago before a trip to Sonoma and Napa, I contacted Rusty on his recommendations for smaller producers he enjoyed. His insights were spot on. He will be missed.

Enjoying a bottle of 2011 Walter Hansel South Slope pinot tonight in honor of Rusty. He was the reason I sought out this solid RRV pinot producer. This stuff needs some bottle time and the 2011 is showing beautifully tonight. Cheers Rusty!

I’ve always enjoyed his writing, but his avatar was a bit creepy.

I assume you are referring to the self portrait of him nosing a glass of Pinot. I kind of like it especially seeing him do that a few times with some of Burt William`s best when I was there to share.

Seemed like a very humble guy with a true passion for Pinot Noir. Interestingly enough we really only crossed paths about 10 years ago. I was taking a break from a walkaround tasting and he was in the same anteroom with a younger guy I took to be his son seemingly schooling him on the finer aspects of appreciation and discernment. I never realized he didn’t do everything himself. No wonder I always feel deadline pressure doing all phases of my writing solo (but I know who to yell at!)