Wine preservation systems - which do you recommend?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Wine preservation systems - which do you recommend?

#1 Post by Todd F r e n c h » July 30th, 2019, 7:27 pm

Obviously if you want to go big, Coravin is the answer, but I'm not interested in that kind of spend right at the moment. I've been using Winesave Pro (from BerserkerDay VIII and IX) quite a lot, and really like it. Might just buy more, rather than invest in more of the ZOS cartridges as those seem to last 4-5 bottles for me, at most.

Other decent, budget options for wine preservation that come recommended?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

jhans

Re: Wine preservation systems - which do you recommend?

#2 Post by jhans » July 30th, 2019, 8:36 pm

I use Private Preserve however the results are generally not that great. Am wondering how WineSave Pro differs, looks like a similar product, both use Argon
John

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Warren Taranow » July 30th, 2019, 10:20 pm

I've been really impressed with the efficacy of Repour, but they're single bottle use and a bit of an environmental waste.

Cheers,
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#4 Post by Todd F r e n c h » July 31st, 2019, 8:15 am

jhans wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 8:36 pm
I use Private Preserve however the results are generally not that great. Am wondering how WineSave Pro differs, looks like a similar product, both use Argon
Yeah, I saw those on Amazon - about half the price of WineSave Pro, didn't know if it was similar/same or not
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Kyle Whitney

#5 Post by Kyle Whitney » August 1st, 2019, 1:07 am

Don't overlook Eurocave's Wine Art. It works well, and avoid dealing with gasses. The have made several significant improvements over their first generation "SoWine" product.

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#6 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » August 1st, 2019, 6:11 am

Warren Taranow wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 10:20 pm
I've been really impressed with the efficacy of Repour, but they're single bottle use and a bit of an environmental waste.

Cheers,
Warren
I have had very good results with Repour as well. I recall getting an email from them fairly recently about recycling . . . I believe they are made from 100% recycled materials and they now have a program for sending the used ones back to them to be recycled.

Todd - worth trying, as they are pretty inexpensive and I think there is a coupon for first time purchase directly on their website.

R M Kriete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by R M Kriete » August 1st, 2019, 7:38 am

Hold out for Coravin for B'day or Xmas present [wink.gif]

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#8 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 1st, 2019, 8:22 am

Sherri S h a p i r o wrote:
August 1st, 2019, 6:11 am
Warren Taranow wrote:

Cheers,
Warren
I have had very good results with Repour as well. I recall getting an email from them fairly recently about recycling . . . I believe they are made from 100% recycled materials and they now have a program for sending the used ones back to them to be recycled.

Todd - worth trying, as they are pretty inexpensive and I think there is a coupon for first time purchase directly on their website.
At $1.80 per (on the 10-pack) I'm DEFINITELY interested! Looks like the same concept as ZOS but actually cheaper

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Jim Stewart » August 1st, 2019, 9:06 am

For a bottle to be drunk over a couple to several days, I have always used the Vacu Vin (pump til it clicks ) wine saver. Is it not thought of as reliable?
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#10 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 1st, 2019, 9:22 am

Jim Stewart wrote:
August 1st, 2019, 9:06 am
For a bottle to be drunk over a couple to several days, I have always used the Vacu Vin (pump til it clicks ) wine saver. Is it not thought of as reliable?
I still have one of those as well, but haven't found it to be terribly reliable/effective

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Peter Kleban » August 1st, 2019, 9:22 am

Warren Taranow wrote:

Cheers,
Warren

I've had good results with Repour too, that's all I use these days.

Thanks for the recycling info, hadn't heard that.
Bob Wood:
"Peter..your well-reasoned words were a waste of time."
WsOTY:
Rioja Alta Grn Res 904 '05
Patricia Green PN Dijon 115 Freedom Hill '15
Kenefick Cab S '03
Heidsieck Mono Blue Top Brt NV
W Schaefer Gr. Hreich Ausl #4 '15
G Marsella Fiano di Avellino '15
Petrolo Galatrona '13
Daniel Dampt et Fils Chablis 1er Côte de Léchet '16

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#12 Post by c fu » August 1st, 2019, 9:23 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 1st, 2019, 8:22 am
Warren Taranow wrote:

Cheers,
Warren

At $1.80 per (on the 10-pack) I'm DEFINITELY interested! Looks like the same concept as ZOS but actually cheaper
i use repour i likey. only issue i have with them is i feel wine takes awhile to come back around in that "zero" oxygen environment.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Jim Stewart » August 1st, 2019, 9:29 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 1st, 2019, 9:22 am
Jim Stewart wrote:
I still have one of those as well, but haven't found it to be terribly reliable/effective
FWIW, and you may already do this, I have found that wetting the stopper opening a bit (then shaking it off) before pumping seems to produce a more reliable longer lasting vacuum seal. When I forget to do this, the seal seems to give way sooner than I would like.

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Russ Williams » August 1st, 2019, 9:31 am

375ml glass bottle filled to the top with a screw cap and kept in the fridge. Works beautifully and just about free.
Listen to more Jerry, it will heal your soul.
9/1/74 - Keystone Berkeley

RickieM

#15 Post by RickieM » August 1st, 2019, 9:59 am

I use ArT, works fine, better than a VacuVin or even using a 375 ml bottle filled to the top. But I've only tried it for overnight.
Rickie Miy@ke

joeduncan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by joeduncan » August 1st, 2019, 10:58 am

Another vote to just get a Coravin. It's been game changing for me to be able to have multiple bottles open simultaneously to enjoy over a few weeks.

Pretty cheap on Ebay, new.

Hank Victor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Hank Victor » August 1st, 2019, 11:38 am

Every black friday weekend Coravin does a 50% off sale. You can snag a coravin and 4 capsules for about $199. If you're in no rush and have the option to wait until November.
- ITB
Take a chance, Columbus did..

"Two years away from being two years away”

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#18 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 1st, 2019, 11:52 am

Hank Victor wrote:
August 1st, 2019, 11:38 am
Every black friday weekend Coravin does a 50% off sale. You can snag a coravin and 4 capsules for about $199. If you're in no rush and have the option to wait until November.
Thanks - might be worth the wait...

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Peter Petersen » August 1st, 2019, 2:43 pm

I'm interested Repour but generally drink a bottle over two days so it does seem a bit of a waste. Maybe it can be saved for another bottle that you open later if you place it in an airtight bag?

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » August 1st, 2019, 5:28 pm

Coravin definitely works, although I've taken to melting a bit of candle wax over the point where the needle was inserted. Depending on the cork, sometime the hole doesn't reseal well and you can even have wine dripping out if you lay the bottle on its side.

Just bought some Repours and will do a blind comparison to Coravin at an upcoming dinner.
Cheers,
/<evin

"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

KyleC

#21 Post by KyleC » August 1st, 2019, 8:07 pm

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
August 1st, 2019, 5:28 pm
Coravin definitely works, although I've taken to melting a bit of candle wax over the point where the needle was inserted. Depending on the cork, sometime the hole doesn't reseal well and you can even have wine dripping out if you lay the bottle on its side.

Just bought some Repours and will do a blind comparison to Coravin at an upcoming dinner.
Look forward to the comparison. I've had the cork reseal issue as well, thanks for the candle wax tip!
C h e n

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Philip G » August 2nd, 2019, 6:00 am

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
August 1st, 2019, 5:28 pm

Coravin is great if you know ahead of time you only want a glass or two and I think it's the only one that will preserve the wine for weeks or months. I don't believe a bottle that's been opened and exposed to air for any length of time would be good for several months even with the air removed since the oxidation process has been started but I could be wrong. Are you going to do long term testing of weeks and months? I might get some Repours and try something similar.

I've been using ArT if I have a bottle left open at the end of the night and it seems to keep the wine for up to about a week if I put it back in the cellar (standing up).

I've had a few "drippers" from the Coravin. Sucks, it gets the bottles below it sticky :( Now I'll usually leave the bottle standing up for a bit to let the cork reseal before putting back laying down.
---------
Dr Good

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Philip G » August 2nd, 2019, 6:08 am

Hank Victor wrote:
August 1st, 2019, 11:38 am
You can save 10% on capsules through Amazon's subscribe and save. It's pretty configurable on how many and how often so you can tune it to get to your rate of use.
---------
Dr Good

John Kight

#24 Post by John Kight » August 2nd, 2019, 11:54 am

c fu wrote:
August 1st, 2019, 9:23 am
i use repour i likey. only issue i have with them is i feel wine takes awhile to come back around in that "zero" oxygen environment.
That's my issue with this one too. It's not that the wine appears oxidized in any way the next day...but it seems that the wine goes into a sort of "bottle shock" state or just shuts down and becomes less espressive. And unlike you, I haven't necessarily found that it simply comes back around (at least not within the hour or two that it might take me to finish the remainder of the wine...admittedly I haven't tried pulling the repour and waiting 3 hours).

Not sure if it's the zero oxygen environment that causes this issue, given that the bottle was ALSO in (essentially) zero oxygen before the cork was pulled, but something is definitely going on.

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Mike Evans » August 6th, 2019, 6:51 pm

I’ll throw out a Repour data point from tonight. I had about half a bottle left of a 1994 Mondavi Reserve CS from a tasting on July 20 so I stuck a Repour in it and threw it in the fridge. I poured it tonight with a Flannery ribeye and it hadn’t faded at all. If anything, the wine showed better tonight than it was when I first poured it.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by alan weinberg » August 6th, 2019, 8:05 pm

Pungo. Great system.

josh bryer

#27 Post by josh bryer » August 7th, 2019, 6:54 am

alan weinberg wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 8:05 pm
Pungo. Great system.
Alan, do you find the Pungo less aggressive than the Coravin in terms of pouring method relative to sediment stir? Thanks!

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by alan weinberg » August 7th, 2019, 7:30 am

josh bryer wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 6:54 am
alan weinberg wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 8:05 pm
Pungo. Great system.
Alan, do you find the Pungo less aggressive than the Coravin in terms of pouring method relative to sediment stir? Thanks!
I use it only for young wines without sediment. Tipping the bottle of course would stir up sediment. It pours well and capsules are cheaper than Coravin. It allows my wife to have a glass a night instead of having the bottle deteriorate or, heaven forbid, require opening yet another bottle.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#29 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 7th, 2019, 8:41 am

Mike Evans wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 6:51 pm
I’ll throw out a Repour data point from tonight. I had about half a bottle left of a 1994 Mondavi Reserve CS from a tasting on July 20 so I stuck a Repour in it and threw it in the fridge. I poured it tonight with a Flannery ribeye and it hadn’t faded at all. If anything, the wine showed better tonight than it was when I first poured it.
That's a good data point - being in the fridge certainly helped, however, but it would seem Repour would work without refrigeration easily and effectively for a couple of days, if it can go that long on an old wine with refrigeration

joeduncan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by joeduncan » August 7th, 2019, 8:50 am

It will take a lot of capsules for a pungo to break even with a coravin price wise. $430 vs $175 (or much less even if you're willing to buy new on eBay).

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#31 Post by Adam Frisch » August 7th, 2019, 11:39 am

What I can't find anywhere is - is Repour re-usable? Meaning, can I keep using the cork, or is it a one shot deal? Maybe I'm not understanding the technology.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Scott Butler

#32 Post by Scott Butler » August 7th, 2019, 12:04 pm

Adam Frisch wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 11:39 am
What I can't find anywhere is - is Repour re-usable? Meaning, can I keep using the cork, or is it a one shot deal? Maybe I'm not understanding the technology.
Adam, from the Q&A section on Amazon:

If you can use it multiple times for the same bottle of wine then why can't you reuse it for another bottle? Do they magically stop working?
Answer: Thanks for the question! Each Repour stopper is designed around a single 750 ml bottle of wine, consumed glass by glass. In this way, Repour can absorb the Oxygen out of 1500 ml of air. The math behind this 1500 ml calculation goes like this:

1 glass gone = 150 ml
2 glass gone = 300 ml
3 glass gone = 450 ml
4 glass gone = 600 ml
5th glass = bottle's empty
---------------------------------------
1500 ml of air

We fully endorse finding creative ways to stretch a single stopper from one bottle to the next (and are happy to share the "hacks" that people have shared with us), but also want to make sure that every user has a perfect experience with Repour. In this way, we only formally endorse use over one bottle of wine as we know if you use a Repour stopper in this way you'll have exceptional results!

Each Repour stopper is good for one bottle of wine, even when consumed glass-by-glass. When storing a saved bottle with Repour, to enjoy another glass, simply remove the Repour stopper, pour another glass and then restop the bottle with the same Repour stopper. Repeat as needed until the bottle is empty, One stopper-One bottle.
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan
ITB

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#33 Post by Adam Frisch » August 7th, 2019, 12:30 pm

Thank you Scott!
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#34 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 7th, 2019, 12:33 pm

Scott Butler wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 12:04 pm
Adam Frisch wrote:

If you can use it multiple times for the same bottle of wine then why can't you reuse it for another bottle? Do they magically stop working?
Answer: Thanks for the question! Each Repour stopper is designed around a single 750 ml bottle of wine, consumed glass by glass. In this way, Repour can absorb the Oxygen out of 1500 ml of air. The math behind this 1500 ml calculation goes like this:

1 glass gone = 150 ml
2 glass gone = 300 ml
3 glass gone = 450 ml
4 glass gone = 600 ml
1500 ml of air

We fully endorse finding creative ways to stretch a single stopper from one bottle to the next (and are happy to share the "hacks" that people have shared with us), but also want to make sure that every user has a perfect experience with Repour. In this way, we only formally endorse use over one bottle of wine as we know if you use a Repour stopper in this way you'll have exceptional results!

Each Repour stopper is good for one bottle of wine, even when consumed glass-by-glass. When storing a saved bottle with Repour, to enjoy another glass, simply remove the Repour stopper, pour another glass and then restop the bottle with the same Repour stopper. Repeat as needed until the bottle is empty, One stopper-One bottle.
If you use it only once on a bottle, say, half a bottle full, wouldn't you be able to use it again, then?

Scott Butler

#35 Post by Scott Butler » August 7th, 2019, 12:40 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 12:33 pm
Scott Butler wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 12:04 pm
Adam Frisch wrote:

1 glass gone = 150 ml
2 glass gone = 300 ml
3 glass gone = 450 ml
4 glass gone = 600 ml
1500 ml of air

If you use it only once on a bottle, say, half a bottle full, wouldn't you be able to use it again, then?
I agree Todd, and it almost seems like Repour guy probably agrees, though he only "formally" endorses the one method. There is probably some liability or product guarantee reason why he only endorses the one method.

Never heard of these until 15 minutes ago, but I bought a pack!
ITB

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#36 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 7th, 2019, 12:45 pm

I've sent them a message that they may want to participate in BerserkerDay :)

Scott Butler

#37 Post by Scott Butler » August 7th, 2019, 12:51 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 12:45 pm
I've sent them a message that they may want to participate in BerserkerDay :)
NICE! champagne.gif
ITB

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Alan Rath » August 7th, 2019, 12:51 pm

I would think so, though that might depend on how long you wait to use it on the next bottles. Is there a way to seal up the stopper when out of the bottle? If not, and it's just lying on the counter, it will absorb oxygen from the air and become saturated.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by John Morris » August 7th, 2019, 1:14 pm

Jim Stewart wrote:
August 1st, 2019, 9:29 am
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
FWIW, and you may already do this, I have found that wetting the stopper opening a bit (then shaking it off) before pumping seems to produce a more reliable longer lasting vacuum seal. When I forget to do this, the seal seems to give way sooner than I would like.
I used these years ago, and I found that, after a glass or two, they completely annihilated the aromas. The problem, I think, it that you're reducing the air pressure, which causes aroma compounds in the wine to evaporate -- it basically sucked the volatile stuff you want to smell into the headspace. Beyond a glass or two, the wines were consistently degraded, I found. And I refrigerated after opening.

Also, it's not creating anything like a vacuum, so there's oxygen in there. It's just sucking out some of the air.

I still use the stoppers without the pump, though!
"I'm a Frisbeetarian. We worship frisbees. We believe when you die your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it down." – Jim Stafford

"The Internet has resulted in an exponential increase in the number of instances in which humor must be explained." - me, 2019

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#40 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 7th, 2019, 1:26 pm

John Morris wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 1:14 pm
Jim Stewart wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

I used these years ago, and I found that, after a glass or two, they completely annihilated the aromas. The problem, I think, it that you're reducing the air pressure, which causes aroma compounds in the wine to evaporate -- it basically sucked the volatile stuff you want to smell into the headspace. Beyond a glass or two, the wines were consistently degraded, I found. And I refrigerated after opening.

Also, it's not creating anything like a vacuum, so there's oxygen in there. It's just sucking out some of the air.

Same here - they are useful as stoppers, now that we never use the pump anymore

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Peter Petersen » August 7th, 2019, 2:20 pm

My suggestion above was to use a small airtight ziplock bag for the Repour when it is not in the bottle. Or maybe a very small volume bottle. This should keep it longer. Will test next week.

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Jim Stewart » August 7th, 2019, 2:37 pm

John & Todd,
I am going to deadhorse a bit . . .
There are at least a couple of versions of the "Original Vacu-Vin" as well as a shitload of knockoffs and other versions I have the two that are pictured below.
vacu-vin.jpg
The one on the left is the newer "Original Vacu-Vin and in my personal experience it is a POS! I would agree with anyone using this that is not effective.
The one on the right is the original "Original Vacu-Vin" and in my experience it does a decent job. For me the key is to moisten the slit opening that looks a little like . . . well, moisten it before pumping. I am not sure if technically a vacuum is formed, but this version does form an air tight seal as evidenced by the pop of air when it is reopened. I would hate to think that I am making my wine worse by using this and taking away the nice volatiles.
Last edited by Jim Stewart on August 7th, 2019, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott Butler

#43 Post by Scott Butler » August 7th, 2019, 2:38 pm

John Morris wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 1:14 pm
Jim Stewart wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

Interesting, the Vacu Vin is still my current method. I am 100% certain they create a very nice vacuum, because when I open one back up there is a loud sound consistent with a vacuum release. Maybe I am just better at it than you are. neener
ITB

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by K John Joseph » August 7th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Jim Stewart wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 2:37 pm

the key is to moisten the slit ... moisten it before pumping.
Yikes.

That aside, I believe there is considerable literature suggesting that the Vacu Vin is a sham. Wine Spectator and Wall Street Journal both did independent tests and, in Specator's case, tested the old and new versions of the seal. Both publications' lab tests reported nearly total failures, which were consistent with professional taste tests suggesting an inability of tasting panel participants to discern the recorked and vacu vin samples. If I recall, the Spectator's first article on it was titled something like "A Great Sucking Sound And That's All"
J0hn-J-K4ne

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Jim Stewart » August 7th, 2019, 3:03 pm

K John Joseph wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 2:56 pm
Jim Stewart wrote:

the key is to moisten the slit ... moisten it before pumping.
Yikes.

That aside, I believe there is considerable literature suggesting that the Vacu Vin is a sham. Wine Spectator and Wall Street Journal both did independent tests and, in Specator's case, tested the old and new versions of the seal. Both publications' lab tests reported nearly total failures, which were consistent with professional taste tests suggesting an inability of tasting panel participants to discern the recorked and vacu vin samples. If I recall, the Spectator's first article on it was titled something like "A Great Sucking Sound And That's All"
yeah kind of yikey as I wrote it but I let it "slide"

Disappointing to hear that my my go-to method is a sham though . . .

P.S Maybe the authors of those articles forgot to moisten the slit! neener

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by John Morris » August 7th, 2019, 3:13 pm

Jim Stewart wrote:
John & Todd,
I am going to deadhorse a bit . . .
There are at least a couple of versions of the "Original Vacu-Vin" as well as a shitload of knockoffs and other versions I have the two that are pictured below.
vacu-vin.jpg
The one on the left is the newer "Original Vacu-Vin and in my personal experience it is a POS! I would agree with anyone using this that is not effective.
The one on the right is the original "Original Vacu-Vin" and in my experience it does a decent job. For me the key is to moisten the slit opening that looks a little like . . . well, moisten it before pumping. I am not sure if technically a vacuum is formed, but this version does form an air tight seal as evidenced by the pop of air when it is reopened. I would hate to think that I am making my wine worse by using this and taking away the nice volatiles.
I have the original one.
Scott Butler wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 2:38 pm
Interesting, the Vacu Vin is still my current method. I am 100% certain they create a very nice vacuum, because when I open one back up there is a loud sound consistent with a vacuum release. Maybe I am just better at it than you are. neener
Yes, the pump sucks some air out, so there's that little pop when you release the stopper. But that's nothing like a full vacuum, so there's some oxygen in there.

I used it for a year or two, but I found the leftovers had no flavor if I was, say, more than one-third of the way through the bottle.

Just think about it: You're creating a partial vacuum. What's doing to happen to the elements in the wine that evaporate to create the aroma? They're going to evaporate even faster in a low-pressure environment! And you're not going to be sniffing it when they do.

I assumed it would work but was forced, through observation, to realize that it didn't. I'd rather just recork a bottle and refrigerate. I think you lose less of the aroma that way.
"I'm a Frisbeetarian. We worship frisbees. We believe when you die your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it down." – Jim Stafford

"The Internet has resulted in an exponential increase in the number of instances in which humor must be explained." - me, 2019

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Mike Evans » August 7th, 2019, 3:42 pm

Peter Petersen wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 2:20 pm
My suggestion above was to use a small airtight ziplock bag for the Repour when it is not in the bottle. Or maybe a very small volume bottle. This should keep it longer. Will test next week.
I haven’t tried it yet, but I think putting tape over the end (not unlike the original seal) may work.

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Mike Evans » August 7th, 2019, 3:44 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 8:41 am
Mike Evans wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 6:51 pm
That's a good data point - being in the fridge certainly helped, however, but it would seem Repour would work without refrigeration easily and effectively for a couple of days, if it can go that long on an old wine with refrigeration
I’m impressed and more than a little surprised at how good the wine was after more than two weeks. That said, this is just one example, so I’m withholding judgment until I try it on some more bottles.

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Peter Petersen » August 7th, 2019, 5:39 pm

Mike Evans wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 3:42 pm
Peter Petersen wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 2:20 pm
I haven’t tried it yet, but I think putting tape over the end (not unlike the original seal) may work.
Yes, that’s an interesting idea as well.

Karen Troisi
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#50 Post by Karen Troisi » August 7th, 2019, 6:19 pm

We have tested using Coravin and Repour in our tasting room. I was high on both initially but both have limitations for commercial use. We still sell Repours and I think they are good for home use if you don’t finish a bottle. We now use the Coravin for library wines only, while at home I use my Coravin mainly on 750ml’s of sauternes and port.

Our everyday wine preservation is now a Winekeeper unit which constantly pumps argon into the bottle. They offer single bottle up to multiple bottle units. We have two 4-bottle units and so far we like them - and they preserve wine well. The argon canisters are less expensive than Coravin on a per use basis too and one Winekeeper argon canister is good for about 12 bottles of wine with constant pouring. We have been using these since early April.

https://www.iwawine.com/wk-showcase-4-b ... lack-argon
ITB - You should only make wines you love to drink.

Return to “Wine Talk”