TN: 2002 Domaine Robert Chevillon Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Vaucrains

Many thanks to Paul Hanna for this bottle.

• 2002 Domaine Robert Chevillon Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Vaucrains - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (7/30/2019)
    There’s intense liqueur cherry at this wine’s heart. It has a highly perfumed nose of violets, iron, root vegetables, smoked meats and compost. It is plush and silky, with outstanding depth of flavour and balance. It really fans out on the finish and leaves an earthy/minerally footprint.

Posted from CellarTracker

Sounds great Jeremy. Thanks for sharing.

what are you thinking for optimum drinking window?, I would have thought it would still be quite primary at this stage

Thanks Andrew.

I bought a case of their '02 NSG ‘Perrieres’ on release which has been splendid. This Vaucrains has just a little more of everything.

Cheers
Jeremy

unfortunately, i think i drank mine too early. the last one was absolutely stunning. i cannot come up with a good reason why i don’t buy more chevillon, but they are singular and perhaps even best-in-class for the appellation. great note as usual. hope you’re well, my friend.

It is so good now Marcus. No doubt it will drink well for several more decades.

Thanks Jeremy,
I think I have it stored in the naughty corner with 02 Dugat-Py. Might be time to get it released on good behaviour

There was a point in time when I felt that the 2002 Chevillon wines were over-ripe. I didn’t buy any, so I only get to re-visit when someone else pulls one out, and haven’t sampled one in the last year or year and a half or so. sounds like that wasn’t particularly an issue for this one.

Woo hoo! I have a bottle of this sitting happily in the cellar since I purchased it! Thanks for the notes1

+1 Always seem to be right where I want/expect them to be.
Nice note, Jeremy. Sounds great.

Haven’t had this one, but his 02 Chaignots a couple years ago in DC was stunning and WOTN among very worthy contenders:

"2002 Robert Chevillon NSG Les Chaignots

So NSG is still one of the few communes I don’t readily grok. That said, I have now identified that I do love Chaignots as a plot. This was really, really nice. Cherry and berry and dashes of cinnamon elevate the aroma. And ooohhh, that is one pretty drink. Replays and very, very expressive. Best thing I can say? it’s nothing other than Burgundy, and magic Burgundy at that—the luminosity and shine that you want the wine to achieve. Right on the mark right now, balancing freshness, flavour and depth and WOTN"

Sounds great Jeremy, as you know I am also a big fan of the '02 Roncieres.

Wonderful bottle of the ‘02 Vaucrains last night at dinner. Medium bodied. Plenty of structure and zing to go with strong fruit and secondary aromas.

• 2002 Domaine Robert Chevillon Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Vaucrains > - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (7/30/2019)
    There’s intense liqueur cherry at this wine’s heart. It has a highly perfumed nose of violets, iron, root vegetables, smoked meats and compost. It is plush and silky, with outstanding depth of flavour and balance. It really fans out on the finish and leaves an earthy/minerally footprint.

Man, that description is everything I thought about the 2002 vintage, when I tasted it in 2004. The quailty (ie, the character) of the vintage was right up in my top 3 vintages ever on the “vintage characteristics” criterion. At least on the Cote de Nuits, I thought the vintage consistency is right up there, too.

I plan to give them the full 20, but the ones I’ve had sound similar to Jeremy’s description. Chevillon was wonderful in 2002. And, their Vaucrains is always great.

We had the 1996 Vaucrains recently. It is drinking perfectly now, with the fruit red, crunchy and very fresh.

I tried to bring this wine to an event with C Fu but he said the wine was ‘lame’ - will have to enjoy it sometime based on the OVERWHELMING love it is getting

cheesehead The wine elite doesn’t believe in premier crus.

Yes I do.

Oh, you were being sarcastic when you referred to the wine “elite.”

I think that the more I learn about Burgundy, the more I like aged red premier cru red and notice that the difference between it and grand cru narrows.

More ironic than sarcastic. Besides I like Nuits, and I would be stuck without Premiers.