TNs--Berserkerfest 10.2 at House of Hack...the man, the place, the wines!

Sooo–I think/hope I left my scribbles at one of my client’s workplaces which I won’t get back to on Thursday, so I’ll start these from memory and reserve the right to add to the original post [edit–did so] . A warning that I doubt I got to half of what was served.

The weather cooperated and no one got thrown in the pool/launched themselves in the pool/staggered drunkenly into the pool, but a fabulous time was, I think, had by all. Can’t measure how thrilled I was to see old friends and put faces to names I’ve known for a while now. And Jay even had the piano tuned (next step is to get the pedals working) and I played some with some chanteuse accompaniment (Rebecca and, I think, David C’s wife–and Zach, BTW, has come a LONG way on his playing in 2 years). The food, as usual, was magnificent. But…on to the wines. These will not be in the order I tried them

1970 Taylor Fladgate VP

This was the WOTD for me. One of many generous brings by Mark Golodetz. Mark will have to correct me if I have the timelines and story amiss, but it was to be part of a sale lot and then the cork fell into the bottle. He recorked and left for 8 months. Whatever [edit–nothing so exciting, see Mark’s post below mine :wink: ] . This was an absolute beauty to sniff and taste. A port in its full bloom after the requisite 50 years or so, power has been traded for complexity with chocolate, fig, buttercream and toffee all having a say. Not in any way thick or heavy at all, there is still some alcoholic excitement at the back of the throat. Easily one of the best ports I’ve ever had.

2009 Roumier MSD Clos de la Bussiere

Tina brought this one and it was pop-and-pour. Amazingly, this actually had something to give—a sharp contrast from my other 2 experiences with the 96 hard-as-nails version of this. Dusty unripe strawberry nose gives way to good, authoritative grainy mineral-driven dark red fruit, but also with a hint of roundness that should flesh this wine out even more in the next 6-10 years. Here is a case where I think the vintage will allow this cuvee to be fully enjoyed much earlier than is the norm. Bottom-line–very good wine.

2015 Site Larner Grenache

One of Brent’s brings, I tried it only because I love the guy—many people know that Grenache is not my thing. This has some dust and even 'shrooms along with perkiness to its sweet red strawberry and cranberry compote and a bit of herbs, but didn’t move me off my needle. Well-made, however.

1988 Calon-Segur

Another of Mark’s, this was drinking very nicely indeed. Just curls of pipe tobacco and cocoa in the nuzzie, the currant and polished raspberry fruit are very precise to me on the palate. A nick of cedar overlay, it is not especially deep or mindblowing, but simply a very enjoyable glass of Bordeaux and a fine exemplar of the vintage, with a touch of tar and asphalt to add interest.

1966 Gonzales-Byass Oloroso

I only got the smallest smell and taste of this, but it was something special. Smells of pure nut oil. And this far out, it was electric, especially in the mouth. I was stunned at how dynamic and kinetic this still was. #3 maybe?

2007 Williams-Selyem Litton Estate PN

Someone very generously gave me a sniff and sip from their glass of this treasure. Just put this huge smile on my face. Liquid silk with a wonderful backing freshness to pure strawberry and crabapple flavours. This was a glorious Cali Pinot and possibly my #2 today.

2014 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey St. Aubin en Remilly

I think it was a Remilly–if not, Jay or whoever brought it will correct me. This still lashes you a bit in the sniffer with some matchstick/Sulphur and popcorn, but only a bit and a thrilling key lime note is present throughout. Already drinking quite well (as I’ve found with so many 15 whites), this has depth and the usual laser precision, with a long, energetic mineral-infused lemon-lime main note, a bit of gingerbread and a gunflint finish Excellent.

1988 Chateau Suduiraut

I know a lot of people Jonesed for this. And I liked it just fine as well, with still some vanilla fudge nuances to the apricot-based fruit. But with Sud, I am a firm believer in style matching vintage and I don’t think the leaner, racier 88 vintage truly matches up with the house. Not that the wine was fighting with itself, but if I think about my experiences with Rieussec and Climens and D’Yquem from that year, all of those seem to “express” that vintage much better to me. Still…didn’t spit it out :wink:

2015 Arietta On the White Keys

I may have the vintage wrong, if someone can verify/correct? Slight floral tone to the bouquet, more about sage and lemongrass and nettles. Replays with some pretty lilac and very light pear notes for me also, but no real verve or presence and it hasn’t figured itself out yet. May need more time in the bottle.

2005 Chateau Pichon-Comtesse

This was the only one of a mini-vertical that I got to. This did have Comtesse’s signature elegance of frame to it, and some herbs and brambles and nip of pipe tobacco are interesting accents to red and blackcurrant main themes, but this is one that does need more time to fully come into its own and transfer that frame elegance onto the whole. I’d leave mine another 8 years at least if I were you.

1995 E. Guigal Cote Rotie Brune et Blonde

I’ll have to re-check my notes on this one, but if memory serves this was still rather youthful and racy-- [edit–memory DOESN’T serve me! agree it’s starting into its tertiary stage, thinning out a bit] . Attractive spice-tinged red berry and plum aromas. Only a small tinge of meatiness to dark red plums, it never got to the extra magic/sophistication gear that I love to see if I’m having Cote Rotie. Very solid food wine, mind you—splendid with the oxymoron sandwiches in particular, teased out some extra life and acidity.

1980 Chateau L’Eglise Clinet

One of 3 bottles of this that Mark brought, my sample was into its tertiary life with woodsy and shaved pencil in amongst dried black fruit. Definitely waning in energy.

2010 Pride Cab Franc

From mag, this was delicious. Very forthright in just-enough-sweet plum and boysenberry, with only the smallest nick of olive and a shake of pepper. I think it’s firmly in its drinking window and was very, very smooth dans la bouche.

2009 Rhys Family Farm PN

Sort of an elderberry/flower thing going on scent-wise. To taste, a bit of funk to me but balanced and tasty red fruit in the main.

2018 Aka Primitivo di Manduria Rose

Pretty roses and watermelon. Soft at front, zippy at the back, it fits the grape. Serve chilled though.

2000 Lamiable Brut Grand Cru

I think this was the only bubbles I got to. Lots of brioche and yeast here, but also a significant–and good–lemon component to counterbalance. Not truly “classic” but nevertheless has some authority and personality.

2007 Mas Cal Demoura L’Etincelle

Never seen this white before. Oh-my peach and orange blossom. Dans la bouche, it is lilting, if not deep. Nice sipper.

2014 Etienne Sauzet Puligny Montrachet Hameau de Blagny

Light ginger and a marvelous lime not in the nose. Smooth, strong, beautiful and there’s a lemon-lime tang that is really attractive. Probably ended up my #5 today.

2008 Maximin Grunhauser Abstberg Ries Spat

Didn’t take any formal notes on this, but the apple crisp nose and palate combined with gentle acidity was exquisite. Dangerously gulpable, my #4 wine today. Many thanks to Jay Miller for this bring.

2004 Chateau Lascombes

Bit of cigar here in the bouquet. Actually, that’s not bad on the tongue–there’s balance and sweeter redcurrant notes with good flow here. 2004s are maybe a vintage to seek out for value.

2005 Neal Cabernet

Black forest cake nose is replicated to some degree in the mouth. This still has a certain ripeness but it also has a certainty about its frame and structure that underlies the whole and is something I’ve often admired about Mark’s wines. Compares favourably with a 2002 I had not too long ago.

2014 Bevan Ontogeny

Real coffee aroma and some sweetmeats for me. Sweet red plums and blueberries on the palate, rather tamped down though—I wonder if these go into a sleep stage. The 16 I had a couple months ago was exuberantly lovely.

2007 Kutch Kanzler PN

From a mag, this has lots and lots of life to it with lightly dusted strawberry and cranberry notes. It is, of course, made in a style Jamie has moved away from, but I am impressed that it delivers plenty of enjoyment these 12 years out.

2013 Chateau Boswell Ritchie Chard

The first of four of a mini-horizontal of Ritchie, set up at my instigation (well, more my contribution–I brought 3 of them). Big nose and palate here, oak is judged but it fits the larger ripe yellow and leaning-towards-tropical fruit. Not quite as big as a Bevan version of the Ritchie I had some months ago, this still has similar characteristics.

2012 Aubert Ritchie Chard

This was the host’s contribution to my mini-horizontal (there are at least 15 wineries that pull fruit for their Chard from here). Still some oak hanging on, butterscotch mixes with some unripe orange. Still ripe and biggish to taste, but creamy in the midpalate with orange and lacing of sour cream. Not sure if it may change with 2 or 3 more years, might be interesting to try in 2022.

2013 Ramey Ritchie Chard

Although I tried to source a slightly older bottle for this mini-horizontal, this is still, for me, much to young to consume. The oak is still rather in ascendancy for me. Underneath it are citrus and lemon and apple core parts, but needs more time. I do recall there were a lot of people who may have liked this best though.

2012 Arista Ritchie Chard

The last of my 3 that I brought for this, I liked this version the best. There was a balance and freshness to the citrus notes and yellow fruit with just a trace of buttercream that seemed to all work for me, and it had good length and energy on the tongue.

I didn’t, after all, get notes down or even the identity of the 2013 Ries that Count greeted me with upon my arrival but it was darned good!

Huge thanks to Jay and Rebecca for hosting us and to everyone who came and brought such fine and interesting contributions.

Mike

Nothing so weird with the Port.
The Taylor had a cork, there were slight signs of seepage, so decanted it an hour before arrival.

Also my wine of the day.

The Pichon Lalande was promising but quite closed.
Lynch Bages 2005 seemed dilute by comparison. The Baron 2004 as ready and delicious, but not surprisingly a level below the Lalande.
The Neal out of magnum was excellent.
Liked the Calon, also the St Aubin.
The Bevan was not to my taste. At all! But Dan knew that when he gave me some [drinkers.gif]

I’ll chime in, the 70 Taylor was my WOTD as well, closely followed by the 66 Gonzalez Byass Oloroso. The Oloroso won on the nose and the Taylor won on the palate.

Lots over other very good wines, notably the 1989 Madiran and the 1970 Warres and lots of wines I missed, notably the Suduiraut and Roumier (though I’ve never been a huge fan of their Bussiere anyway).

The 2008 von Schubert was very good but needs more time. I thought I had brought a 1997.

I’ll get to the Von Schubert, which might have been my #4. Of the Ritchie series, I think I liked the Arista version the best this time, seemed to best express to me what I like about the vineyard. Count’s opening 2013 Riesling was also very, very good. I missed getting the Madiran…and that Cornas which I think you also liked, Jay?

I liked the Pacalet Cornas much more on the nose (gorgeous) than on the palate which I liked but wasn’t wowed by. I don’t recall the vintage and of course have no idea what would have happened with more air.

Have to go with the 70 Taylor as my WOTD as well. No words come to mind other than sublime. IRO the Ritchie horizontal, I’d have to say the Arista was my favorite style. Great event with too many mind boggling wines to write up (though, transparently, I was too busy tasting to bother with notes!). Any given night, most of these could have been a WOTN. Kudos to Jay for a killer event!

Mike,
This sounds like a good time.
Nice notes.
I love Taylor 70.

Jay’s events are a little like Randy Katz’s but bigger in its own way. Jay, I’m pretty sure the Pacalet was a 2014.

I also thought the 70 Taylor was WOTN and liked Jay’s Riesling quite a bit. Also enjoyed the 2004 Pichon Baron (disclosure, my bottle), which I think is drinking very well now - the 2004s are generally very open and in a great place (and have been for a while). The 88 Calon Segur was a pleasure to drink.

I thought the 95 Guigal was past its best and a bit tired, but then I’m not a huge Guigal fan. Didn’t enjoy the Pascalet Cornas on the palate; I felt like it was almost natty in some way. Was also disappointed by the 05 Lynch Bages - a typically good producer and a great vintage combined to produce a rather oddly thin wine. The 05 Pichon Lalande in comparison was, despite being very closed, a significantly better wine.

I liked the 2012 Fevre Vaudesir (?) quite a bit, lovely Chablis. First time I tried an Aubert chardonnay, and while it’s not my style, I can really appreciate the quality of the winemaking.

Thanks to Jay for a wonderful event!

OK, found my lost notes and have updated the OP.

M.