Dinner with 09` Cristal, 93` Gaunoux Beaune and 00` Dunn Cab

We enjoyed a fabulous dinner with friends at the special venue of the El Encanto, a high end resort located up in the Santa Barbara Riviera with magical vistas of the city, ocean and channel islands during spectacular sunsets. Featuring a new and vastly improved menu, we were seated at one of our preferred outside patio tables which on this night was next to a wonderful local musician who, much to our delight, played and sang beautiful background dining music.

Additionally, our server was a long time El Encanto fav who plays the role of a dedicated server with grace and charm. While enjoying the pre-sunset aura with a huge fog bank rolling in off the Pacific, we sipped some nice bubbly before moving on to dinner wines.

2009 LOUIS ROEDERER CRISTAL BRUT- I just don’t seem to be able to keep my hands off this exceptionally young treasure and chose to open another one on this night; as I’ve experienced previously, it is showing so much better now than the way too young 08`; our bottle was absolutely fabulous; the aromatics included inviting spicy stone fruit notes which on the palate translated into honeyed peach and apricot with some pear and citrus in the background; it was very rich and full bodied and had a magnificent creamy mousse; it begged to be sipped, not gulped and I avoided the temptation; as good as it is now, it promises to be much greater later on if I can just allow the resining bottles to get past adolescence.

fullsizeoutput_255e.jpeg
1993 DOMAINE MICHEL GAUNOUX BEAUNE- high neck fill; medium pyrope color; we had the best bottle of the 2 I have already opened; it gave very nice tertiary fruit notes along with a streak of spice and an underlying.earthy character; it had some pizzaz and got better in the glass and held a steady course throughout the evening; on the palate, mature cherry and dried cranberry flavors were most prominent; it was medium bodied and had much softer tannins and therefore much better mouthfeel than the previous bottles especially at the finish.

fullsizeoutput_2563.jpeg
2000 DUNN VINEYARDS HOWELL MOUNTAIN CABERNET SAUVIGNON NAPA- decanted for an hour prior with considerable sediment removed; this was really good from the nose on; it was very Bordeaux like IMO with earth and leather, almost Bretty, infused black currant and plum fruit; it was full bodied and had soft tannins which allowed for a pleasing texture to carry all of the treasures to the back end.

fullsizeoutput_2565.jpeg
Both the Gaunoux and Dunn paired perfectly with a Portobello Mushroom Pot Roast and Crispy Duck Confit.

This was a fine evening of friendship, fine dining with some fine wines, very gentle guitar and vocal background music and the ambience of a large, spectacular outdoor patio overlooking the lower reaches of the city and out into the ocean, at least until the fog obliterated most of the view and we were relegated to the superb view of our table with the 4 smiling faces.

Cheers,
Blake

fullsizeoutput_2560.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2562.jpeg

Great wines, decent priced foods, great view with good friends. Life is good.

doing it right, Blake

Blake,
Great notes as usual. The 2009 Champagne vintage is under-rated and under-appreciated IMHO. I wish I had bought more, but I was awaiting the later release of the '08s. The '08s are phenomenal, but the 2009’s are no slackers and are more giving at the moment.
Cheers,
Warren

Great notes. I had my one and only bottle of 09 Cristal, also with a great view from atop Palos Verdes, just a few weeks ago.
7DBF474C-6B69-45AE-AA2B-E8588F62E0B3.jpeg
Gorgeous wine. It’s the most I’ve ever spent for a Champagne, but really kinda worth it.

Chris, I’m happy you went for it. I’ve kind of concluded to spend more in some areas and less in others in favor of quality over quantity. To have the experience is simply worth it IMHO and the price gets more rationale, at least as I see it.

I`ll share another one with you the next time I come to OC.

Thanks Warren. When it was first released, the 09` didn’t get a lot of love. I attended a Cristal dinner and when it was poured, in addition to 5 other vintages, I opted to get some quick fast. Loved every bottle and as I said in the thread, if I can keep my mitts off of a few for a few years, they should really be stellar as opposed to just really good.

Nice to hear about the Gaunoux. I bought a number a while ago (other vintages–99 and 2005) and so far have found them to be in that perpetually restrained, “never quite ready” style of the old deMontille regime.

I did the same thing John and had similar findings, at least with the 99 so this was a decent success after the first 2 which. were just OK when I rationalised about a 93 village wine, on and on.