Willamette wineries to visit in October???

My wife and I will be visiting in the Portland (OR) area in mid October. I haven’t been in that area in over 40 years, and have never visited any wineries there. I have liked their pinot noirs and pinot gris over the years. Hopefully, I can figure out a day in that area visiting maybe 3 wineries. Any suggestions? I would love to visit Eyrie , as it was a pioneer, and value any suggestions and reasons…and, I guess, geography that would make such a day work more efficiently. Given my fondness and familiarity with Burgundy, I am very intrigued about such a day— on many levels. TIA

Come see me. I’m in Mcminnville as well. And we are a co op, so you could taste a handful of other wineries too.

Sounds great. Thanks for the invitation.

I would recommend Beaux Freres, Brick House, and Ayoub. You will need to make reservations at all three, I think. They are all in Dundee.

Ayoub is in the Dundee Hills. Beaux Freres and Brick House are in the Ribbon Ridge AVA, but not too far from Dundee. Yes, all 3 require reservations, but Beaux Freres and Brick House may allow drop in’s depending on the day.

It sounds like the OP wants to visit Eyrie. With Todd H.'s invitation, I would suggest that the OP visit McMinnville. Reach out to Marcus Goodfellow and you will be set for a wonderful day of tastings in McMinnville at Eyrie, Biggio Hamina and Goodfellow. Eyrie recently changed to a seated appointment only format. I haven’t been to the new format, but perhaps others can chime in with their thoughts. Lunch at the Valley Commissary and dinner at Thistle would make for a full and enjoyable day in McMinnville.

James

Sometimes early October is pretty busy. Great suggestions for Eyrie, Goodfellow and Biggio-Hamina. There are so many more.

Appointments required. You should bring some of your Burgs to share as I know Marcus and Todd will appreciate them!

RT

Be happy to have you come by and we can crack open some 2004 Burgs!

[smileyvault-ban.gif] flirtysmile

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

why not!!

Anderson for the win.

Ha! Need a hand with the glassware at
that appointment?

We do waive tasting fees for visitors with white or red Burgundy…

Stuart,

If you’re coming through, and stopping at Eyrie, and/or Biggio-Hamina, please come by. I’ve always enjoyed your thoughts on Burgundy on the boards, and would love your take on what we’re doing.

I would certainly try to do:

http://biggiohamina.com/

https://www.ayoubwines.com/

https://eveshamwood.com/

And the one holy grail visit is Thomas. Good luck.

Was nice to finally put a face to the wine at Woodard Wine last week my man.

My pleasure. Hope you had a fine time.

We did a short stop in McMinnville on our trip last year and visited/tasted at Eyrie, Brittan, and Goodfellow. The wines were pretty good at all three, but for an overall experience I would recommend a visit with Marcus Goodfellow. You may have more “in” than we do, and be able to taste with other winemaker(s) , but tasting wines with the pouring staff, while they are knowledgeable and pleasant, is no way the same as tasting/visiting with the winemaker. Extrapolating from this, I would say go see Jim Anderson and Todd Hamina if they can make time for you.

a big +1 re visits to Biggio Hamina and Goodfellow…Very accomodating and lovely wines…regret that I did not go to Patricia Green and meet Jim Anderson when we were in McMinnville in June.

Happy to pour our current Franny Beck lineup (new Bieze Vineyard Chardonnay included) for you if your interested. Send me a pm and we’ll set it up

I’d spend a day in Eola Amity visiting Walter Scott, St. Innocent, Evesham Wood, and Bethel Heights.

+1 and would add Cristom to that list

Another one to throw in the hat, especially if you make the trek from Dundee to Ribbon Ridge, but Pete and Dick Shea (Shea Wine Cellars) are doing some really good stuff out in Yamhill/Carlton. They have some killer Chardonnay in addition to their known Pinots. Even though they sell most of their grapes (to great wineries), they make some great things. They’ll host you right in their facility and you can see some of the processes. I think you’d need to call ahead.