TN: Matthiasson RibollaGialla '16...(short/boring)

In anticipation of tonight’s RibollaFest at the Matthiasson’s and to salve the regret of not being able to attend, I cracked:

1. Matthiasson RibollaGialla MatthiassonVnyd/NapaVlly (11.2%) 2016: Med.gold/burnished bronze color; strong RG/peppery/spicy bit herbal/new mown alfalfa slight orangey/honeyed very Friuli-like RG nose; quite tart/acidic lean/savory/saline light RG/peppery/earthy/stony/mineral some tangy/metallic rather spare flavor; long some RG/peppery/spicy some stony/metallic/tangy rather tart/acidic bit citric/grapefruity finish; a quite attractive RG/peppery/Friuli-like nose but rather lean/austere/wirey on the palate; lovely nose but wish it delivered more on the palate. $45.00

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. This wine was a bit of a puzzle to me. The color was far darker than I expected and suggested a skin-contact white. But I was unable to pick up any phenolic character at all. I liked the nose quite a lot but it was pretty lean&spare on the palate. Seems to be in a not so good place right now. Yet no signs of oxidation (other than the color) nor falling apart. Just sort of an Oakland wine right now.

1. The RibollaFest is always one of the best events I attend every year. It is a gathering of most all the Ribolla producers in Calif, originally held at GeorgeVare’s first RG vnyd, now hosted by the Matthiassons. Alas, I’d just finished my 2 weeks of GrandPa duties and was unable to make it this yr. FloridaJim will have to do in my stead.
    Tom