It makes me want to SHOUT! 1996 López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia

Honestly, trying to ascribe specific flavors to this wine does it an injustice. It’s a beautiful, complex work of art, with too many fruits, flowers, nuts and spices to describe. Perfectly proportioned flavors and acid, and just the right amount of oxidative notes. This would have lasted decades in the cellar, but it was sadly my last bottle. It stopped the conversation at the table and complemented the paella perfectly.

Very nice

It makes me want to BUY! Great note. Thanks.

I love these unique wines so very much. A 1991 tasted 5 years ago:

"1991 Lopez de Heredia Vina Tondonia Blanco

I did manage to get the cork popped in the morning and Audouzed it a little, but no other decanting. I was worried this wouldn’t be ready, but instead it showed perhaps the best of any of this line that I’ve tasted. The oxidative note that is so distinctive in these is pianissimo here. Lots of lanolin/waxy feel and butter—like the buttered sauce you’d do with lobster—is the prominent and primary. With some florals mixing in later and possible slight vanilla, I am much more reminded of a Beaucastel VV—a good one. Simply outstanding."

1998 from 4 years ago:

"1998 Lopez de Heredia Vina Tondonia Bianco

Didn’t my eyes light up when I saw this on the table? This was fun too, as Blake remarked to me that he couldn’t get at anything specific and was thinking about the wine in general and abstract terms, where I got definite banana peel–plantain peel, actually, as a sniff and a lash of peat as well. In the mouth, this is such a delight, cheesecake notes and creamy baked apple. That cream cheese and apple on an elegant wavelength continues and its all goodness. Loo-ove it. My WOTN"

2003 from 2 years ago:

"2003 Vina Tondonia Reserva Bianco

I wanted to bring this on Glenn’s behalf since I know he hasn’t tasted anything like it and wasn’t sure if the others had either. Yup. Nutty-sherry, but only a bit to the grapefruit and apple mains. While this is smooth enough and does have mustardy spice and some saline and lemon, it is still very unformed, of course. 10 years would be a fair keep estimate, I think."

And a 2004 from 9 months ago:

"2004 Vina Tondonia Bianco

Bouquet is lemon cake, nasturtians (!) and light honey tones. I do so love these wines. Splendid creamy presence with sweet lemon-based replays and long, long finish. More of a surprise to me, it’s ready to drink. I think my #3."