TN: 2010 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Grand Cellier Rubis

2010 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Grand Cellier Rubis - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (7/27/2019)
Wow, great wine from a tough vintage. Dense, creamy red berries, a little citrus and spice. Moderate bead, good complexity and intensity. I really liked it.

Opened one last weekend,
I agree very good wine

Reads like a regular Rubis. What would you say is the biggest difference between vintage and MV?

For me it’s the depth that comes with time. In my experiences I find that the Vintage show in their youth to be very similar to the MV. The shift comes with age for me.

Got it. Thanks for the insight, Kirk! Appreciate it.

Seems like no bad vintages when it comes to Vilmart.

+1

Curtis,

I haven’t had enough of either to give an accurate assessment. I like them both; this seemed to have more density and complexity, and a creamy character that really stood out.

Cheers,
Warren

Is 2010 considered a weak vintage in Champagne?

Dry early followed by heavy August rains made it a challenging vintage. I bought very selectively of 2010’s, and even less of 2011, which had even worse problems with rain. I’d say they were two of the toughest vintages in a decade or more. It’s too early to see what happens this year, but I’ve seen plenty of raisins this week on the instagram posts of several growers I follow. I feel sorry for the farmers.

Thanks Warren.

For my palate there is a huge upgrade in quality from the NV to the V.

I usually get a slightly candied note on the NV which is absent from the vintage. Also, more complexity and layered flavors in the vintage.

Unfortunately the vintage is both in the “only an occasional splurge” price range as well as being difficult to find. I haven’t tried the 2010 but as others have noted Vilmart seems to excel if off vintages.

really? Wow, that’s saying something to me for sure, since I uniformly love the NV version. From this past March:

“Vilmart Cuvee Rubis Every time I try this, I seem to just fall in love all over again. Delectable lingonberry and watermelon nose leads into a perfectly weighted palate that is somehow creamy and crisp at the same time. Nips of strawberry to buttress aromatic replays, it is my fairly clear WOTN and I believe it was a unanimous consensus.”

It’s also possible the NV has been getting better over the years which wouldn’t surprise me. I din’t think I’ve had it in the last decade.

Mike,

That was the hook for me on the ‘10 Vintage Rubis. I love all of the Vilmart Rubis’, as well as his vintage Grand Cellier d’Or and Coeur de Cuvées. The prices were a lot more palatable a few years ago, but I’m still mostly all in.

Cheers,
Warren