Finger Lakes Updates?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16076
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 5:29 pm
Location: ChiIl

Finger Lakes Updates?

#1 Post by David K o l i n » July 27th, 2019, 2:47 pm

We’re going to be dropping off our son at Syracuse in a couple of weeks, and will have a couple of days to tool around in the Finger Lakes. I haven’t visited wineries there in almost 40 years (!) and have been reviewing the threads on the board for ideas, such as viewtopic.php?f=1&t=136677&p=2190375&hi ... s#p2190375

Does anyone have any updated or additional thoughts on visiting?

jon leifer
Posts: 440
Joined: May 11th, 2010, 9:14 pm

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#2 Post by jon leifer » July 27th, 2019, 6:03 pm

for whites, Hermann Weimer, for reds, Damiani, and Bloomer Creek for an eclectic experience,,re both food and wine...and don't forget to stop at Dinosaur BBQ while you are in town..We live in the suburbs of the Big Orange.
Jon

User avatar
Markus S
Posts: 6122
Joined: May 20th, 2010, 7:27 am

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#3 Post by Markus S » July 27th, 2019, 6:58 pm

For the FLX, are you more interested in reds or whites, and how do you like your rieslings? Last year was not a kind one to growers, but mostly you will be seeing 2017 whites being sold. New wineries are popping up all the time and I just spent a day visiting some new places last week. How many did you want to visit? Herman Weimer has bought Standing Stone and the tasting room totally revamped. Boundary Breaks is a relatively new winery that specializes in riesling. Kemmeter is great (no reds yet, only a charming pinot rose) but you need to make an appointment and plan on an hour. Anthony Road go for the wines on the back of the list; there is quite a change from the regular list to the reserve wines, though I wasn't impressed with the skin ferment ones. Another new winery, Ryan Williams (also on Seneca Lake, as are the others I mentioned) has an eatery on spot which is reputed to be very good, unfortunately closed the day I went so I cannot personally vouch for. Billsboro closer to Geneva has good everyday wines are reasonable prices. Shaw further down the lake sometimes does interesting wines. Ravines (on Keuka, but has a tasting room in Geneva) is high-quality overall and does well with reds and chardonnay.

Not an exhaustive list, but one to get you started.
$ _ € ® e . k @

User avatar
Mike Rotondo
Posts: 60
Joined: February 9th, 2011, 6:54 pm
Location: Bridgewater, NJ

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#4 Post by Mike Rotondo » July 28th, 2019, 7:27 am

I've posted already in a few threads on FLX, so no need to repeat - but one "update" I'd share is now that Nate Kendall has taken over all winemaking at Hickory Hollow (not just the Nathan K label), I'd suggest that as a good place to visit.

User avatar
David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16076
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 5:29 pm
Location: ChiIl

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#5 Post by David K o l i n » July 28th, 2019, 12:01 pm

Thanks, all. Looks like we’ll have to extend our trip from three days to three weeks

Nathan Smyth
Posts: 3542
Joined: February 15th, 2009, 7:11 pm

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#6 Post by Nathan Smyth » July 28th, 2019, 3:29 pm

jon leifer wrote:
July 27th, 2019, 6:03 pm
for whites, Hermann Weimer
Weimer also has a nursery, so, at least in theory, you could take some vines home with you.

In practice, though, you really shouldn't move plant matter across state lines without a nurseryman's license from the USDA.

And with invasives like Lycorma delicatula [the spotted lanternfly] & Drosophila suzukii [the spotted wing drosophila] on the Eastern Seaboard now, you need to be really careful about that stuff.

vwsmaltz
Posts: 377
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 10:19 am
Location: Geneva, NY

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#7 Post by vwsmaltz » July 28th, 2019, 7:18 pm

Again, depending on where you want to go - Weis is a new winery on Keuka Lake doing German influenced styles. Domaine LeSeurre on Keuka has great French influenced Rieslings and Pinots. Red Tail Ridge has release a Beerenauslese just recently that is amazing. It's an amazing wine region with tons to offer. I'm lucky enough to live in the heart of it....
Virgil

User avatar
Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 2421
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#8 Post by Robert M yers » July 29th, 2019, 5:50 am

Are there any dog friendly worthy visits that the locals could point me to? We will be up that way, but will have our 120lb Newfoundland with us...somewhere where you can taste/picnic outside possibly?

User avatar
David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16076
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 5:29 pm
Location: ChiIl

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#9 Post by David K o l i n » July 29th, 2019, 5:59 am

Robert M yers wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 5:50 am
Are there any dog friendly worthy visits that the locals could point me to? We will be up that way, but will have our 120lb Newfoundland with us...somewhere where you can taste/picnic outside possibly?
If we overlap, my wife would be more than happy to watch your Newfie

User avatar
Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 2421
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#10 Post by Robert M yers » July 29th, 2019, 6:18 am

David K o l i n wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 5:59 am
Robert M yers wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 5:50 am
Are there any dog friendly worthy visits that the locals could point me to? We will be up that way, but will have our 120lb Newfoundland with us...somewhere where you can taste/picnic outside possibly?
If we overlap, my wife would be more than happy to watch your Newfie
Ha, good idea! She’s a good companion, but not exactly graceful. Her tail could take out a whole table of wine glasses if pointed in the wrong direction.

User avatar
Markus S
Posts: 6122
Joined: May 20th, 2010, 7:27 am

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#11 Post by Markus S » July 29th, 2019, 7:18 am

Robert M yers wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 5:50 am
Are there any dog friendly worthy visits that the locals could point me to? We will be up that way, but will have our 120lb Newfoundland with us...somewhere where you can taste/picnic outside possibly?
Well there were two show dogs at Boundary Breaks when I was there, and they have a large lawn area. Someone at the winery has at least two dogs who meander around.
$ _ € ® e . k @

User avatar
Hank Victor
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 470
Joined: July 21st, 2018, 8:36 am

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#12 Post by Hank Victor » July 29th, 2019, 8:14 am

Weimer
Lakewood
Wagner - great brewery too
Boundary Breaks
Fox Run
Red Newt
Shelldrake
Redtail Ridge
Ravines
Glenora


Take your pick but these are all solid
- ITB
Take a chance, Columbus did..

"Two years away from being two years away”

User avatar
Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6356
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 7:19 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#13 Post by Mike Grammer » July 29th, 2019, 10:27 am

Just came from a much-abbreviated visit, only got to Fox Run, Red Tail Ridge and Hermann J. Wiemer. I have to be honest and say that nothing came close to bowling me over, but HJW's single-vineyard Ries was fairly good and Fox Run's tawny port was, at a minimum, an interesting take on that type of wine. Would have liked to visit Kenmeter and Shaw, just ran out of time.
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

User avatar
Markus S
Posts: 6122
Joined: May 20th, 2010, 7:27 am

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#14 Post by Markus S » July 29th, 2019, 11:14 am

Mike Grammer wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 10:27 am
Just came from a much-abbreviated visit, ... I have to be honest and say that nothing came close to bowling me over...
Rather feel the same way when I visit Ontario wineries.
I don't know how you you define 'bowled over', but you tend to drink well. I give new regions some benefit of the doubt, and find Finger lakes wines maturing well since the 80's when I began following the region. Climate is a beast here, as in Ontario, and defines what type, concentration, ripeness can be achieved. Many of these wineries were low capitalized until recently compared to other regions and had a lot to learn. But when you consider most wines sell for between the teens-20's, they are a nice alternative.
$ _ € ® e . k @

vwsmaltz
Posts: 377
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 10:19 am
Location: Geneva, NY

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#15 Post by vwsmaltz » August 2nd, 2019, 4:05 pm

Robert M yers wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 5:50 am
Are there any dog friendly worthy visits that the locals could point me to? We will be up that way, but will have our 120lb Newfoundland with us...somewhere where you can taste/picnic outside possibly?
Most of the Wineries on Cayuga are dog friendly. Seneca Lake wineries tend to be more hit and miss. Fox Run near Geneva has an area behind the tasting room with tables and chairs where you can grab food from their cafe....
Virgil

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 754
Joined: January 1st, 2010, 3:51 pm

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#16 Post by mmarcellus » August 2nd, 2019, 5:17 pm

Not wine, but I highly recommend a stop at Aurora Brewing Company, on Rte 90 just south of Aurora, if convenient. Selections rotate, but when I was there last week their Pilsmatic was the best Pilsner I've had in years, maybe ever. They also had some great sours (especially Goseface Killah), an excellent IPA made with West Coast hops, and a wonderful Imperial stout ("Stza").
M @ r k

User avatar
Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6356
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 7:19 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#17 Post by Mike Grammer » August 6th, 2019, 11:11 am

Markus S wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 11:14 am
Mike Grammer wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 10:27 am
Just came from a much-abbreviated visit, ... I have to be honest and say that nothing came close to bowling me over...
Rather feel the same way when I visit Ontario wineries.
I don't know how you you define 'bowled over', but you tend to drink well. I give new regions some benefit of the doubt, and find Finger lakes wines maturing well since the 80's when I began following the region. Climate is a beast here, as in Ontario, and defines what type, concentration, ripeness can be achieved. Many of these wineries were low capitalized until recently compared to other regions and had a lot to learn. But when you consider most wines sell for between the teens-20's, they are a nice alternative.
Thanks for your input Markus, it's appreciated. With Ontario, I definitely admit to having some local-bias, but I'm still pretty picky about anything that bowls me over here as well---and there hasn't been a lot. I have the advantage/additional bias of giving myself a lot more exposure to our wines than to the Finger Lakes, where I was last visiting over a decade ago. You are not wrong about the climate. And I definitely acknowledge that the pricing has gone up for the higher-end Ontario products (even when our Canadian peso gets converted ;) ). But I *have* had some wines here that did and have impressed me to the point where I'm not ashamed to take them anywhere I go to any group of 'philes I'm with. Pearl Morissette's Cab Francs and Westcott's Reserve PN and sparklers are two that come to mind immediately in this category.

Maluhia,

Mike
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

User avatar
Joe S.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 938
Joined: January 18th, 2013, 8:31 pm
Location: DFW Metroplex

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#18 Post by Joe S. » August 6th, 2019, 8:12 pm

Besides the ones mentioned, I would add we had a great experience at Dr. Frank for one of their Sparkler food parings. Six different sparklers and a small bite with each, and also a small tour. I really enjoyed it...then you can go through the normal tasting room afterwards for free.
-- J. 'eS-eye-dee-dee-ay-eL-eL-
BornToRhone (CT)

Clayton Wai-Poi
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 963
Joined: April 26th, 2010, 3:45 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#19 Post by Clayton Wai-Poi » August 6th, 2019, 8:22 pm

Mike Grammer wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 11:11 am
Markus S wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 11:14 am
Mike Grammer wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 10:27 am
Just came from a much-abbreviated visit, ... I have to be honest and say that nothing came close to bowling me over...
Rather feel the same way when I visit Ontario wineries.
I don't know how you you define 'bowled over', but you tend to drink well. I give new regions some benefit of the doubt, and find Finger lakes wines maturing well since the 80's when I began following the region. Climate is a beast here, as in Ontario, and defines what type, concentration, ripeness can be achieved. Many of these wineries were low capitalized until recently compared to other regions and had a lot to learn. But when you consider most wines sell for between the teens-20's, they are a nice alternative.
Thanks for your input Markus, it's appreciated. With Ontario, I definitely admit to having some local-bias, but I'm still pretty picky about anything that bowls me over here as well---and there hasn't been a lot. I have the advantage/additional bias of giving myself a lot more exposure to our wines than to the Finger Lakes, where I was last visiting over a decade ago. You are not wrong about the climate. And I definitely acknowledge that the pricing has gone up for the higher-end Ontario products (even when our Canadian peso gets converted ;) ). But I *have* had some wines here that did and have impressed me to the point where I'm not ashamed to take them anywhere I go to any group of 'philes I'm with. Pearl Morissette's Cab Francs and Westcott's Reserve PN and sparklers are two that come to mind immediately in this category.

Maluhia,

Mike
My experience is over 10 years old, but I found the average quality of Ontario’s wines well above the finger lakes. And the peaks of Ontario were above the finger lakes for me too. The best FL Riesling topped Ontario. Again an old impression.

The FL region was much more beautiful (not that Niagara or PEC are scrubs).

bob parsons alberta
Posts: 1433
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 10:05 am

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#20 Post by bob parsons alberta » August 6th, 2019, 9:06 pm

Great thread and good info on the new Riesling producers. I have access to Fox Run here in AB.

User avatar
Markus S
Posts: 6122
Joined: May 20th, 2010, 7:27 am

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#21 Post by Markus S » August 7th, 2019, 5:07 am

Mike Grammer wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 11:11 am
... Pearl Morissette's Cab Francs...
I've been trying to get my hands on one of their wines but it's not easy. So you like the cab franc over pinot noir? I'll have to remember that.
$ _ € ® e . k @

User avatar
Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6356
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 7:19 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#22 Post by Mike Grammer » August 7th, 2019, 8:59 am

I do in Ontario--other than Westcott's and just one or two others from the last 4 or 5 years, I remain unconvinced that Ontario is a happy home for PN. That may just be my own taste---there are those who stoutly defend this place as a PN haven.

Come up and visit and I'll be happy to share a PM!
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

Brian Gilp
Posts: 2450
Joined: May 29th, 2010, 6:00 am

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#23 Post by Brian Gilp » August 10th, 2019, 11:15 am

The fact that some of the wineries mentioned won’t take groups larger than 6 is a real PITA. I have a group of 8 for which I am making plans so some of those I want to visit are off the list. Planned 3 days for the same group in Napa/Sonoma a few years ago and was never told by any winery that they couldn’t accommodate 8.

jon leifer
Posts: 440
Joined: May 11th, 2010, 9:14 pm

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#24 Post by jon leifer » August 10th, 2019, 7:21 pm

just to add to what Joe said, the Dr Frank sparklers can age quite gracefully...Have had some over the years that had a few years cellaring and were delightful..had the first one with some age on it at a tasting in Albany..I would never have guessed that it came from the FL region, what a surprise!!, .what followed surprised me even more..While I was praising the wine to my wife, an elegantly dressed gentleman who had been sitting near us, came over and introduced himself and said he was happy to hear that we enjoyed the wine..That's how we met met Willi Frank a number of years ago
Jon

User avatar
David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16076
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 5:29 pm
Location: ChiIl

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#25 Post by David K o l i n » August 10th, 2019, 7:32 pm

Great story. Thanks again to all for the updates

User avatar
Jim Brennan
Posts: 4577
Joined: April 17th, 2009, 6:10 pm
Location: People's Republic of Illinois

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#26 Post by Jim Brennan » August 11th, 2019, 7:17 am

Clayton Wai-Poi wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 8:22 pm
Mike Grammer wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 11:11 am
Markus S wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 11:14 am


Rather feel the same way when I visit Ontario wineries.
I don't know how you you define 'bowled over', but you tend to drink well. I give new regions some benefit of the doubt, and find Finger lakes wines maturing well since the 80's when I began following the region. Climate is a beast here, as in Ontario, and defines what type, concentration, ripeness can be achieved. Many of these wineries were low capitalized until recently compared to other regions and had a lot to learn. But when you consider most wines sell for between the teens-20's, they are a nice alternative.
Thanks for your input Markus, it's appreciated. With Ontario, I definitely admit to having some local-bias, but I'm still pretty picky about anything that bowls me over here as well---and there hasn't been a lot. I have the advantage/additional bias of giving myself a lot more exposure to our wines than to the Finger Lakes, where I was last visiting over a decade ago. You are not wrong about the climate. And I definitely acknowledge that the pricing has gone up for the higher-end Ontario products (even when our Canadian peso gets converted ;) ). But I *have* had some wines here that did and have impressed me to the point where I'm not ashamed to take them anywhere I go to any group of 'philes I'm with. Pearl Morissette's Cab Francs and Westcott's Reserve PN and sparklers are two that come to mind immediately in this category.

Maluhia,

Mike
My experience is over 10 years old, but I found the average quality of Ontario’s wines well above the finger lakes. And the peaks of Ontario were above the finger lakes for me too. The best FL Riesling topped Ontario. Again an old impression.

The FL region was much more beautiful (not that Niagara or PEC are scrubs).
Clayton, are you sure you described that correctly? You talk about Ontario being better on average, and also better at the peaks, but then you state that the best FL Riesling topped Ontario. That seems to indicate that the FL wines at their peak are better than Ontario...

Clayton Wai-Poi
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 963
Joined: April 26th, 2010, 3:45 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#27 Post by Clayton Wai-Poi » August 12th, 2019, 7:51 pm

That’s what I intended to say. On the whole I think Ontario wines are better and the best ones are better than the best FL. The FL at their best, tops Ontario for Riesling, but it for any other grape variety for me.

User avatar
Mike Rotondo
Posts: 60
Joined: February 9th, 2011, 6:54 pm
Location: Bridgewater, NJ

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#28 Post by Mike Rotondo » October 2nd, 2019, 11:38 am

Clayton Wai-Poi wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 7:51 pm
That’s what I intended to say. On the whole I think Ontario wines are better and the best ones are better than the best FL. The FL at their best, tops Ontario for Riesling, but it for any other grape variety for me.
Clayton, if it's been 10 years since your last visit to the Finger Lakes, I'd be curious whether you would feel the same today - especially in regards to your comparison to Ontario. The new players like Kemmeter, Forge, Nathan Kendall, and Boundary Breaks - combined with the more established players like Wiemer, Shaw, Ravines or Dr. Frank make a great mix.

That said, I'll be going back to the region next month in case anyone has any "new" recommendations.

ChristopherSK
Posts: 127
Joined: June 8th, 2018, 8:49 am
Location: Philly area most of the time

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#29 Post by ChristopherSK » October 2nd, 2019, 1:36 pm

Mike, I strongly recommend Bloomer Creek which was mentioned by Jon. I have visited Bloomer each of the last two years. They are only open Saturday and Sunday and I found all of their wines to high quality. As I tend to only enjoy and buy "French" chards, I was particularly impressed by their 2014 of which they only had 3 cases left back in mid August. (I bought a case) I asked if I could also buy some of their 2015 chard and it was not yet bottled as it was still resting on the lees. Talk about extended lees contact!
Chri$toph3r S K0y$te

Clayton Wai-Poi
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 963
Joined: April 26th, 2010, 3:45 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#30 Post by Clayton Wai-Poi » October 2nd, 2019, 5:01 pm

Mike

Completely fair point, I hope to get back there someday soon. Lovely part of the world.

Clayton

User avatar
Mike Rotondo
Posts: 60
Joined: February 9th, 2011, 6:54 pm
Location: Bridgewater, NJ

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#31 Post by Mike Rotondo » October 3rd, 2019, 4:20 pm

ChristopherSK wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 1:36 pm
Mike, I strongly recommend Bloomer Creek which was mentioned by Jon. I have visited Bloomer each of the last two years. They are only open Saturday and Sunday and I found all of their wines to high quality. As I tend to only enjoy and buy "French" chards, I was particularly impressed by their 2014 of which they only had 3 cases left back in mid August. (I bought a case) I asked if I could also buy some of their 2015 chard and it was not yet bottled as it was still resting on the lees. Talk about extended lees contact!
I'm pretty familiar with "les Bloomers" and have enjoyed their wines. Definitely on the natural, funky side but always interesting and it's nice to taste with the owners for good insights. The pet nat's are worth checking out if you haven't yet!

kyledorsey
Posts: 76
Joined: October 14th, 2018, 4:16 pm
Location: Finger Lakes, NY

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#32 Post by kyledorsey » October 4th, 2019, 2:36 pm

ChristopherSK wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 1:36 pm
Mike, I strongly recommend Bloomer Creek which was mentioned by Jon. I have visited Bloomer each of the last two years. They are only open Saturday and Sunday and I found all of their wines to high quality. As I tend to only enjoy and buy "French" chards, I was particularly impressed by their 2014 of which they only had 3 cases left back in mid August. (I bought a case) I asked if I could also buy some of their 2015 chard and it was not yet bottled as it was still resting on the lees. Talk about extended lees contact!
Seconded! The 2014 Chards have exceptional texture and balance. Kim and Debra are lovely people to taste with and are very patient with releasing their wines.

ChristopherSK
Posts: 127
Joined: June 8th, 2018, 8:49 am
Location: Philly area most of the time

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#33 Post by ChristopherSK » October 4th, 2019, 3:00 pm

About Bloomer, I also was greatly impressed by their 2013 chard when I had it in 2018 but did not buy any as I was headed up to Montreal for a few days; my loss. As I understand that 2015 was a very good vintage, I hope Bloomer does not sell out of the Chard too fast. I better shoot them an email to hold a case of the 2015 for me. Mike R, yea we also enjoyed the pet nat but I limited my purchase to what most impressed me as I didn't have much space in the vehicle. (And Mike G, I will not forget to bring you a bottle of the 2014 Bloomer Creek chard to your July 2020 event!)
Chri$toph3r S K0y$te

jon leifer
Posts: 440
Joined: May 11th, 2010, 9:14 pm

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#34 Post by jon leifer » October 4th, 2019, 7:58 pm

I too am a big fan of the Bloomer Creek chards..have enjoyed them, going back at least 10 years, perhaps even longer..
Jon

User avatar
Mike Rotondo
Posts: 60
Joined: February 9th, 2011, 6:54 pm
Location: Bridgewater, NJ

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#35 Post by Mike Rotondo » October 5th, 2019, 5:38 am

Sounds like I need to focus in on their chardonnays this next trip!

Phillip Hunt
Posts: 346
Joined: April 26th, 2010, 6:07 pm

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#36 Post by Phillip Hunt » October 5th, 2019, 6:02 am

Will be visiting for the first time in a few weeks. Any recommendations for wineries that have good restaurant/lunch options?

Thanks.
Portrait of MS

User avatar
Mike Rotondo
Posts: 60
Joined: February 9th, 2011, 6:54 pm
Location: Bridgewater, NJ

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#37 Post by Mike Rotondo » October 5th, 2019, 8:05 am

Phillip Hunt wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 6:02 am
Will be visiting for the first time in a few weeks. Any recommendations for wineries that have good restaurant/lunch options?

Thanks.
We've had some lighter snacks at Fox Run which were decent. I'd also recommend Red Newt, as they have a bistro section for lunch with nice soups, sandwiches.
If you're not married to the idea of lunch being at a winery, then definitely try FLX Wienery for a rustic, hearty lunch.

User avatar
Markus S
Posts: 6122
Joined: May 20th, 2010, 7:27 am

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#38 Post by Markus S » October 5th, 2019, 8:13 am

Mike Rotondo wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 8:05 am
Phillip Hunt wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 6:02 am
Will be visiting for the first time in a few weeks. Any recommendations for wineries that have good restaurant/lunch options?

Thanks.
We've had some lighter snacks at Fox Run which were decent. I'd also recommend Red Newt, as they have a bistro section for lunch with nice soups, sandwiches.
If you're not married to the idea of lunch being at a winery, then definitely try FLX Wienery for a rustic, hearty lunch.
Ryan William Winery is a new winery that has a restaurant at the tasting room. Said to have excellent food, but closed the day I was there so cannot vouch for it, but you can do a virtual tour: https://www.thetastingbarn.com/
$ _ € ® e . k @

stewart lancaster
Posts: 231
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 7:46 am

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#39 Post by stewart lancaster » October 7th, 2019, 11:53 am

Just returned from FLX
Recommend
Keuka Lake winery- Leon Milot red wine. Vignoles good also. Several nice rieslings
Herman Wiemer - for their rieslings
Forge Cellars-bone dry rieslings- need appt
Boundary break - nice rieslings
Lameroux Landing- they have some decent reds

jon leifer
Posts: 440
Joined: May 11th, 2010, 9:14 pm

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#40 Post by jon leifer » October 7th, 2019, 7:30 pm

Phillip: try Stonecat Cafe on rt 414 in Hector (Seneca Lake)
Jon

bob parsons alberta
Posts: 1433
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 10:05 am

Re: Finger Lakes Updates?

#41 Post by bob parsons alberta » December 11th, 2019, 10:03 pm

Wine store owners back from Ontario. Big tastings all over the place but said Pearl Morissette wines the best in the provence.

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”