TN: 2009 Paolo Bea Umbria San Valentino (Italy, Umbria)

2009 Paolo Bea Umbria San Valentino - Italy, Umbria (7/26/2019)
Accompanying a pizza, this was youthfully vibrant, a little volatile, and explosively flavorful. It’s still quite drying on the back end, so more cellar time is warranted. The fruit is there to support the aging.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note. I’ve had the 11 and 12 of this wine and they were both fantastic.

Glad to see some Paolo Bea make the board. I just picked up some 2011 Pipparello and Pagliaro. Haven’t had the SV before.

Anyone have a lot of experience with the different wines they produce? Would be interested in perspectives on some of the others.

Still haven’t tried the Cerrete I have in my cellar, that’s his newer single vineyard Sagrantino, but the Pagliaro is a beast, pretty wild. His Santa Chiara is one of the few orange wines I really like, super complex. San Valentino and Pipparello are his Montefalco Rosso/Riserva, Sangiovese blends, and at least the Pipparello needs quite a bit of time to unfold.

Pagliaro ages well with medium-to-long term cellaring. Recently dipped into my 2000 and while already silky-smooth good, I feel my remaining 2 bottles can stick around for several more years.