Wine pairing with Turkish food?

Having dinner at a Turkish restaurant. We do not know what we are ordering yet and none of us had Turkish food before.

Can someone give me general wine pairing suggestions.

[thankyou.gif]

If you order lamb kebabs pretty much anything red is great.

What Jay said. They like lamb and it’s one of the best wines to pair with any red. They also make wonderful grilled dishes of ground meats and spices. And grilled vegetables. All of those go with nice reds - I tend to love Syrah.

Then you get the lemon-infused dishes. Those may not work so well with reds, but that’s OK, they’re delicious anyway.

There are various pastry type things, spinach, cheese, meats, or combos in various types of pastries - those are great with Syrah too, and with many whites. They often have plenty of vegetable dishes without meats, those might include vinegar, pickles, olives, and various herbs.

The Turks developed their cuisine with influences from many different sources, so while some things might be similar to Greek dishes, Armenian dishes, Persian dishes, various middle-eastern dishes, and other cultures, the Turks turned things into their own versions.

Depending on what you all order, I’d go with a Syrah for the meats, although many other wines can work too - you might want to look at some Greek wines. And don’t forget various crisp whites. I happen to like a lean white with grilled vegetables. And if you get something tomato-based, think along the same lines you would with other cuisine - Italian reds, Rioja, Gamay, etc.

Quite delicious food.

Where are you eating? We are having a Champagne/Volnay dinner at Sip Sak (turkish) on Tuesday

Bluturkish in Brooklyn. My friend randomly picked it. Going tomorrow night. Wish I could invite myself to your dinner but I will be a prisoner at home that day. [head-bang.gif]

I think Greg nailed it with syrah and greek whites but you have an opportunity to be creative.

Champagne is solid.

Depending on what you eat I also think a lighter red like Oregon Pinot Noir will be nice. Maybe an Eyrie with some age on it. Eyrie’s VV Pinot Gris is also top notch and would work imo.

Lots of seafood as well.

Thx everyone for the suggestions.

I think it is a White Burg/Volnay themed dinner. Are you bringing champagne?

Bluturkish in Brooklyn. My friend randomly picked it. Going tomorrow night. Wish I could invite myself to your dinner but I will be a prisoner at home that day. > [head-bang.gif]

So what did you end up bringing.

BTW, aren’t you supposed to be out at Jay Hack’s place Saturday?

My dinner is tonight. I am thinking of doing 2015 Gonon SJ or a Penfold.

Would have loved to attend Jay’s party but my plate is too full today and I dont want to move from fatigue.

I thought Diane is.

Chateau Musar