TN: 2016 Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Clos de la Maréchale

• 2016 Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Clos de la Maréchale - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (7/26/2019)
    A touch of meaty reduction at first but breathes to show sweet red and black fruit aromas and flavours. It has good flesh and intensity, with plenty of earth and iron lurking just below the surface. With air there are engaging florals. Balance is superb and whilst it is far too young it offers real enjoyment at this early stage.

Posted from CellarTracker

Jeremy, which vintage did you enjoy more '15 or '16? Which do you feel is better for earlier drinking?
Perfect timing as I was just about to order these this week.

I like them both -¥ 0 ñ 9. In fact both quite similar in density and expression at this early stage. I suspect they will both shut down hard at some stage.

Wine descriptor of the year! :wink:

Yes Bu3k:

I do like Marechale with more @g€.

This cuvée is really good, and actually quite readily available. It’s amazing that it isn’t more expensive. I bought 2015 in magnums and am very happy to have them every time I try a 2015 Mugnier. Fuées a few weeks ago was killer.

FWIW I had a 2014 Marechale a few days ago that was open and compelling from the first sip, though it did lose a bit of fruit over a couple of hours

Is it surprising the 2014, 2015 and 2016 are not shut down? Does bottle format have anything to do with this? I saw a CT note that suggested the 2016 was the best of a vertical, and I was wondering to myself whether the 2015 was just shut down…

Never had much luck with this cuvée. Though it represents a huge portion of Mugnier’s output and is the most readily available, I should check in on it again. So many other values in Nuits however, most closer to the heart of the CdN (Vosne) as well.

I have had the 15 recently and it definitely isn’t shut down.

Was looking for the 2016 in 375s but picked up some 2015s instead per this thread. Thanks!

Same here. They are tasty young, but as they age do not develop anywhere near the complexity, nor maintain the muscle of, a great Nuits St. Georges. They are always at least pleasant and sometimes very nice, but I have never had a compelling example at maturity.

That’s because you haven’t had one at full maturity from Freddy, Tom. And neither have I or anyone else. He’s only had it since 2004, and that '04 may be close to maturity but none of the others are.

Last bottle of 2005 I had was great. Definitely an NSG made by a Chambolle producer and nothing like what Faiveley used to make (for several reasons) and miles away from what Gouges would taste like from the same source, I would imagine. I quite like the wine and I’m happy that it is readily available. Plus, if you buy by the 6-pack, it comes in a pretty wooden box. Who doesn’t love that?

Might be because you like Meo who tries to make NSG like Vosne.

You have to be able to hear whispers

Would love a note on the 2005 if you’ve got one; picked up a bottle on a whim and have been wondering when to pop the cork

Glad it’s not just me. Tried a vertical of 375’s a few years back, 05’ 07’ 11’ just not a lot of personality apart from showing the vintage character. Anyhow plenty of people seem happy with this wine, and I expect it will improve the longer he has it, but when I think Mugnier it’s Chambolle.

That says it well. Others are free to be happy with the wine, but I know our view has been shared at tastings I have attended.

FWIW- I am not much of a Mugnier fan in general. The wines can be great- notably the Bonnes-Mares- but they are not in the same league as Roumier to my tastes, and given the outrageous pricing, tie-ins and inconsistent allocations offered in the US market, I have not bought the wines in quite some time. The NSG, however, is distinctly average at best.

On the topic of Mugnier’s Bonne Mares, he ripped out most all of the vines when he took over in the 80’s so they were just too young to compete with top Bonne Mares like Roumier. It was a bit of an inside tip that the Fuees was the better wine for a long time due to the disparity in vine age. I believe Bill Nanson mentioned on the board a while back that he thought the Bonne Mares only started to surpass the Fuees around the 06’ vintage.