Does anyone else buy wine when they're STRESSED OUT?

Work stressing me out last night. Lying in bed on the iPad, can’t turn the brain off, so start surfing WB, CT, and the online retailers I haunt. Next thing you know, I’ve bought 6 bottles of champagne I had no intention of purchasing. Immediate dopamine rush, stress gone, off to bed.

I frequently walk away from or delay $25 purchases, but with wine, it’s like the math is all different and doesn’t matter. What is my problem and why do I make large impulse buys just with wine?
[head-bang.gif]

Yes but I also buy wine when relaxed, when happy, when depressed, when excited, when tired, when alert…

fixed thread title for you.

I’m most like David, it seems, in that it doesn’t really matter how I feel. I just love to buy wine. This being said, I’ve been trying to put my finger on exactly why I buy in spurts while sometimes going a month or two without much buying. I have noticed I a most dangerous after a formal tasting or visit to a wine destination.

Have you tried drinking it when you are stressed out? I find that helps and can even help you sleep!

Get a new line of work.

Or quit altogether, and go on the dole.

Or find some happy medium in-between.

I just can’t figure out why the wine math in is so justifiable when I’m spending it on wine versus anything else. I basically made an impulsive decision on a $700 purchase just before going to bed. Makes no sense.

2ish, nice! I was stone cold sober last night, nothing to drink.

I’m the same way. I can go weeks or even months at a time and I’ll buy anything, and then all the sudden I’m on a binge buying frenzy!

Yes, that’s the easy part! And it’s already paid for and a sunk cost at that point.

I appreciate your comment, but I actually love what I do. It’s just from time to time I hit some stressful patches.

I agree with this statement. I’ve doubled my current 2019 spend in the past 7 days. Why now and not two weeks ago or months ago, who knows.

The beauty of having a nice cellar and drinking wine you bought long ago. Every bottle is free when you drink it

You really want to know?

For some reason I can’t share the amazon link, but “Collecting: an Unruly Passion” by Werner Muensterberger explains it pretty well.

That book changed my life. In short, you’re making a temporary bargain against death. Warren Zevon (maybe quoting someting) said we buy books because we think we’re buying the time to read them. We buy wine anticipating a pleasant future moment in which we’re still alive to enjoy something. Sure, there are other reasons too but as a coping mechanism for stress, it makes sense.

It’s not a problem. It’s called “retail therapy” and it’s an endorphin rush. Ask your wife - she probably knows all about it.

Scott, the best suggestion I can offer you is to:

1. Retire
  2. Open a wine retail or wine bar business

No stress, you buy wine at wholesale prices and your customers pay for your intake.

I think you’re on to something here. I often find myself thinking about who I will drink wines with, usually my grown boys and wife many years from now.

I dont buy when I am stressed. However, I become stressed after I see my wine bills. Lol

I used to but changed jobs and do not have that issue now.

I do understand what you mean about justifying buying wine vs something else for the same cost. I have drastically reduced my purchases this year vs the last five so I have more disposable income sitting around, but still have a problem spending it on other things for some reason.

Exactly when I don’t drink.

I buy, but don’t drink.