TNR, 1983 Dujac CdlR

anyone tried this?

I had it together with 1982 and 1985, but 25+ years ago.
The 1983 was clearly the most structured in need of time, the 1982 the lightest but most enjoyable, the 1985 the one with the most potential.
1983 not tasted since, but 1985 was great 5 years ago.

Thanks Robert,
Any info is helpful

Marcus,

Are you asking because you have a bottle that you are going to open, or there is one for sale?

Haven’t had the '83 in many years but the '81 has been excellent over the past decade. If I saw an '83 at the right price I’d be all over it like a cheap suit.

Cheers
Jeremy

It was part of a large Dujac vertical two years ago. No trace of hail damage, and the wine fell into the middle of the pack. Liked for its length, and the seamless structure after the tannins had integrated. However lost most of its fruit, and unlike most of the others not particularly complex.

Had it about two years ago. Pretty meh, and certainly wouldn’t pay the associated price of entry. But as the adage goes, no great wines, just great bottles.

Fred C graciously opened a bottle a few years ago. It was corked :frowning:((

I had it in ca. 2012 … outstanding but not great, fine nose, slightly dry finish, no match for 1988/90/91 …

Fu must have been too busy drinking Rhône and missed the second time we opened this:

• 1983 Domaine Dujac Clos de la Roche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos de la Roche Grand Cru (11/21/2017)
    Double the Blind Double the Pleasure: 1983-96 Grand Cru Burgundy: Double decanted for ample sediment and served double blind. A pristine bottle with great fill and spinning capsule. This is for those who like their burgundy tertiary. All earth, black tea, leaves and a hint of celery salt. I knew what this was so I feel like the Dujac signature was present. There is still enough sweetness on the finish to render this not just interesting but downright enjoyable. Not a hint of 83 rot. Guesses were 1980 or 1985 due to the sweetness on the palate. A treat for sure. Alan asked us if we knew why the label was “Clos La Roche” and not “Clos de Le Roche”. Of course we did not. Alan tells us that when he visited the domaine in the 80s, he learned that’s the way Jacques’ wife like to label it before the AOC put a stop to it. Very cool bit of history and a very pleasant surprise.

Posted from CellarTracker

One of the auctions rang me to get my opinion on pricing for a bottle that will be coming up for sale, I am not really a fan of 83s as a rule due to some pretty average wines that I have tried (including more than a case of DRC).
My pricing opinion was pretty much the same as the auction, there seems to be a lack of notes for this wine so I thought I would reach out to the group for help.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, very helpful, dont suppose anyone has a note for 83 Dujac Clos St Denis

I have the memory of an elephant. I couldn’t make it down to OC that night. I still remember the photos you guys sent :frowning:

What price did you come up with Marcus?

My opinion was around $800nzd,
What do you think?

I suspect it will go for well over $1k if it is in good nick.

I agree with the $1k figure based on its rarity.