Borgo del Tiglio, Miani, Radikon, Gravner, Idlewild Sunday School July 7

I apologize for the late notes, July has been a crazy busy month. The July Idlewild Sunday School saw the “big hitters” of Friuli all on the stage together. It made for an interesting comparison. These wines are not straight down the middle wines. Some push the limits of wine and its up to each individual to see if it is in their wheelhouse. In some ways the wines reflect the people who make them as Enzo Pontoni of Miani and Josko Gravner are both HUGE men physically and with big personalities.
Ryan and Megan Glaab of RYME Cellers were present, Ryan showing their 2015 skin fermented Ribolla Gialla as a counterpoint to the Italian version. Also in attendance was Scott Barber, Master Sommelier who has extended experience with the wines tasted. Getting his perspective on the wineries was truly a bonus during the evening. Some great stories!. Onto the wines:

2016 Borgo del Tiglio Malvasia “Italo & Bruno”: This wine along with the next two are big mouth filling wines but are not heavy. Stone fruit, some citrus, nectarine, spice and mineral slate notes. Some swirling brings out rose petal florals and there is some vanilla on the finish.

2015 Borgo del Tiglio Studio Bianco: A most interesting blend of Friulano, Sauvignon Blanc and Riesling. Lime tinged citrus with prominent saline mineral notes. Fruit then turns to peach pit, herbs and a bit of spicy oak. Lots of acidity and a strong umami note the finish is savory and long. This wine begs for some food.

2016 Borgo del Tiglio Roncho della Chiesa: This is 100% Friulano. This has peach - apricot notes, Chamomile, acacia flower, very spicy, sl almond notes. Stony mineral notes keep this focused and pure. Good acidity there is a nice apple core bitter note on the finish.

2014 Miani Ribolla Gialla “Pettarin”: This wine had a strong intriguing note of Thanksgiving allspice likely the wines spice notes combining with the oak barrel selection. Also Golden apple, honey, floral, smoky licorice notes. Quite a mouthful here.

2015 Miani Friulano “Filip”: Herbal, white flowers, spicy aromas. Bruised Ripe apple, Bosc pear, herbal, grassy and finished with some dried pineapple notes. Medium acidity, this is a full bodied wine made to drink now. Not a wine for the cellar IMO.

2016 Radikon Pinot Grigio SIVI: This wine sees 14 days on the skins and it is a cornucopia of fruit, texture and aromas. Both phenolic and fruity, tropical fruit, guava, smoked pineapple, blood orange, chamomile and acacia flowers. Medium acidity and there is tannin that clamps down on the finish. Not a wine for everyone but if you like aromatic “light orange” wines you will love this. I did.

2012 Radikon “Oslavje”: A combination of Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc. Biodynamic, no sulfur added, 60 days on skins, another complex but also controversial wine. Very phenolic, somewhat volatile, some oxidation, high toned bruised apple, orange oil, grapefruit pith, salty minerals and tannins on the finish. Not a wine for everyone, polarizing qualities. About 2/3 of the attendees loved it, the other third hated it.

2008 Gravner Ribolla Gialla: Here is a wine of ones convictions, obviously not a money maker. On skins for 6 months, 5 years in Botti, a few years in bottle this wine was released last year and is the current release! Not much cash flow here :slight_smile:. Phenolic, ripe apple, pear orange peel, spice, florals carnation like, almonds and hints of butterscotch. This wine is full bodied, powerful but not clawing or heavy. The texture, body and tannin structure of a red wine, you could serve this with just about any entree.

2015 RYME Cellars Ribolla Gialla: The 2015 Ribolla was all destemmed and fermented on the skins in amphorae with a maceration that lasted 6 months. Floral, spicy pear, anise, phenolic notes, chamomile, resinous and some nutty notes. Nice acidity and sweet spicy tannins on the finish. Very food friendly and still young.

There was a Schioppettino that someone had bought that was also poured but I did not taste.

This was certainly an interesting and provocative tasting. It marked the 1 Year Anniversary of the Idlewild Sunday School Series. Wonderful opportunities to taste and discuss the wines of Italy. Looking forward to future events.
Here are a few photos from the presentation.

Idlewild July Sunday School
IMG_20190724_102340.jpg
Map of Friuli, All Wines From The Tiny Starred DOC Collio Area On The Right
IMG_20190724_101842.jpg
The Lineup
IMG_20190707_194002.jpg
Josko Gravner
IMG_20190724_102104.jpg
Enzo Pontoni Of Miani
IMG_20190724_102003.jpg

Great post, thanks! I only learned about Borgo del Tiglio last December in an enoteca in Milan where the very knowledgeable sommelier praised them as one of the premier white wine producers of Italy. Will definitely try to taste more of their wines in the future.

Your note got me worried, so I cracked open Miani’s “regular” Friulano last night, and yes, it is a bit softer than usual but not more so than typical for the varietal. I think it can hold well for up to 5-6 years.

I’m less familiar with Miani’s wines, but Borgo del Tiglio should age effortlessly for many years. We have recently had the Collio Friulano from '95 and '96, and the Studio di Bianco from '94 and all have been stellar, truly great white wines, not just great among whites from Italy. It’s a shame more people don’t age these.

Markus, did not mean to worry you, just that particular bottle didn’t have as much of that typical Miani structure. It still has a lot of energy and will continue to develop.

Sarah. you nailed it. When I read notes from various people about the great white wines in the world wines like these are rarely mentioned. Big mistake, they should be!

Tom