CA/OR most expensive DTC Chardonnay and Pinot Noir

I’m having a hard time determining the most expensive Chardonnay and Pinot Noir (winery DTC, not secondhand) from either OR or CA

What I’ve come up with so far is:
Chardonnay:
Peter Michael Point Rouge- $225

Pinot Noir:
Domaine Serene Monogram- $275

Anyone heard of anything that costs more than these?

Marcassin? No idea what winery DTC might be.

Marcassin may be more on the secondary market but the release price is $90 (3 sisters, BSL) - $125 (estate) per.

I wouldn’t be surprised if your Peter Michael Point Rouge suggestion is correct. It is quite limited — it is a reserve blend of the best lots from their various vineyards — and priced accordingly.

If you weren’t looking for the most expensive single bottle, but rather expensive line up of CA Chardonnay, I’d suspect that is Aubert. (Much preferred to Peter Michael IMO too).

I don’t know the price points of the Kongsgaard chards, but they were always sufficiently high that I never bought any.

I can’t think of anything that approaches the Domaine Serene.

my guess would be pearl clutcher.

Kongsgaard The Judge, their most expensive bottle, was $200 I believe in the last offer.

Peter Michael Point Rouge was $225. Close but no!

The Eyrie Vineyards releases library wines from time to time. Currently available on the Eyrie website is the 1987 South Block Pinot Noir for $500. I have seen the older Eyrie bottles available at trusted retailers as well.

Beaux Freres has a stash of library wines available at the winery. I haven’t been in 4-5 years, but the older vintages were current market price plus $10 for each added year.

James

Out of curiosity, what’s behind your interest Ryan?

I figure he’s a balla looking to shop.

Is there another explanation?

champagne.gif

Pretty sure the Marcassin Estate wines, both Chard and Pinot, have been $150 starting with the 2010 vintage.

Pearl Clutcher was $120.

Gift?

For someone who is going to check the price rather than the quality?

Win a bet?

Mollify the wife?

Anyway, come on you guys, there are some expensive Chardonnays. All you have to do is look.

Ryan - don’t be cheap. You’re talking only $200? Please.

Spend a few bucks. You can’t take it with you after all. Get yourself some Ghost Horse for $500+.

Marcassin Estate is probably the most expensive that you can find relatively easily, at over $325 retail. You want to back up the truck for that deal.

But if you’re willing to go all in and get the most bang for your buck, go large! A case of this will change your life!

Rombauer Chardonnay (5 Liter Bottle) 2017 | Wine.com [drinkers.gif]

Ahhh yes - the panty-dropper won’t set you back $250, but it will cost you your dignity

Thanks for all of the input.

I’m interested intellectually. The price of too NAPA cab is high and so is Bordeaux. Although not as pricy.

The high end of Burgundy is ridiculous but CA/OR isn’t. In my opinion.

The question is why is our CH and PN high end “low” (relatively)??

Demand. It doesn’t have the cachet of the top Burgundy producers. Probably for good reason, but you have to be pretty silly to be paying $200 for any domestic Chardonnay.

Your logic is solid, but I would guess that you can find equivalent quality in CA/OR Pinot Noir and Chardonnay to the most expensive bottlings from a good number of producers in those areas, and at least for Oregon possibly better depending upon your palate.

Also, there was an Oregon wine released at $300/btl released in Oregon at one point. I can’t remember which project it was but Mark Tarlov was connected.

For expensive Chardonnay in Oregon look to 00 winery (double aught). They are around $125-150, and good wines.

This…except for the good reason part. Top Willamette Valley Chardonnay can hold it’s own with France. And the Pinot Noir is closing the gap as well, if you are drinking the right wines.

It’s interesting to me that 30 years ago Robert Drouhin held a second tasting of Pinot Noirs, including some of the greatest vineyards and vintages of Burgundy, and had an Oregon wine, produced from young vines, come in second. He was convinced enough to buy and invest in the region. Yet somehow there is still a routine feeling that the Willamette Valley is just a wanna-be region compared to Burgundy? I don’t get it…

Which are the right wines, both Pinot and Chard?

Thanks!

Maybe poor phrasing on my part. I don’t think there’s much doubt that the very best Chardonnay wines are being made in France, but I also am convinced that there are outstanding wines being made in California and Oregon. My point was really that those people who insist on “the very best” (or just the “very best name”) aren’t shy about spending to buy what are often very limited and allocated wines, thus the exponential price variation between the top French and top American wines.