TN: Dard & Ribo Hermitage in both colors

This producer is somewhat divisive and when it comes to their more affordable reds the style is not exactly my preferred one, even if I am perfectly capable of appreciating them for what they are. That said I was still looking very much forward to the opportunity to try both their red and white Hermitage from the 2014 vintage and both wines actually delivered. Both were really food friendly and the pairing of the red with smoked duck was a great success. The white paired well with whitefish and beurre blanc but was really fabous I think with the soft Pérail cheese.

I have no clue how the closure (synthetic black, a Nomacorc I think) affects the wines’ ability to age over let’s say a ten year’s span but based on how the wine taste right now I would be interested to see how they will turn out. Alas, 2000 bottles of the red and 304 bottles of the white have been made so it is quite possible that no bottles are left in 2029.

• 2014 Dard et Ribo Hermitage - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage (24.7.2019)
    Very much youthfully intense on the nose with ripe yet savory blackberry fruit, bouillon, ground black pepper and tones of red cherry. Has a somewhat natty feel but still speaks strongly of its origins. Bright and perfumed, no doubt. On the palate mouth-filling, grippy and markedly spicy. Not a huge wine but possesses a great tannin structure. Supremely elegant, tartly red-fruited with high acidity. A friend commented about an off-note in his final sips after the wine had been in the decanter for a few hours but I managed to miss it.
  • 2014 Dard et Ribo Hermitage Blanc - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage (24.7.2019)
    Beautifully aromatic and generous on the nose with notes of orange, lemon and marzipan. On the palate it is rich and viscous with huge power. Strives on firmness and confidence. Amazing how it shows no heat despite the considerable concentration and volume. A magnificent wine.

Posted from CellarTracker

I didn’t know about their closure system. Still have not tried them and don’t see them around, other than the occasional auction site.

They feel like this closure is the ideal choice for their wines as they are making wines to be enjoyed young. This may apply to their numerous bottlings from Crozes-Hermitage and Saint-Joseph but I think based on what is inside the bottle these two would both merit some good ol’ fashioned cellaring. René-Jean even him has acknowledged that the white could easily age 50 years plus. I don’t know what percentage they export but have understood that Japan alone could take all of it and then some.

Interesting, never ever tasted anything from this producer.
However the synth. cork would be a negative component for me.

+1. I have had too many fails with Nomacorc to warrant purchasing.

Also a no-go for me, except wines to drink very young.

I’m not very TCA sensitive, but I’ve still had plenty of bottles saved for a decade or two end up being tainted, and that hurts. So I’m willing to give some benefit of the doubt to a producer who’s willing to try something modern/scientific. My belief is that they have much more to lose if they get this wrong, than I do, so they likely put some thought/research into the decision.