arumred - anyone heard of it?

apparently it’s selling for 25,000 Euros/bottle

First I heard of it.

Hilario!

Interesting article. In which we learn the wine tastes differently depending on if you swirl it
in the glass clockwise vs. counter-clockwise. Wonder if it’s hemisphere-dependent?
Lot of pseudo-science BS in there.
Surely someone has tasted it?
Tom

Yes, I was rolling my eyes through much of the article. But was curious if anyone had even heard of the wine before.

No, but they’re making a killing! [snort.gif]

Todd, where is the “this made me throw up in my mouth” emoji?

The clue is to produce so little that nobody has tasted it, or so expensive that nobody dares to open it. Two strikes here.

My guess is that the key is to have someone (I hesitate to say a shill) pay an outrageous sum for some bottles and then spread the news so other mega rich people want to get in on it. But only a guess.

ridiculous, China can eat this up.

Once again, the power of a good story sells the product.

Ozone in the air is extremely toxic to plants according to the USDA, the US Park Service and everyone else who’s looked at it.

But ozone in the water? It’s commonly used to kill pathogens and to purify water. According to some studies it may help make the soil slightly acidic. But the problem is that the additional oxygen doesn’t penetrate much beyond the surface of the soil. In other words, it doesn’t refuse to interact with everything it encounters from the soil surface to the roots, where it hops in and merrily travels up the roots and into the fruits.

I think the customers for this wine that will last forever are the same customers for powdered rhino horn.

What I like is that he doesn’t waste him money on Riedel stems.
Arumred glasses.JPG
And he doesn’t want to overoak his wine:
Arumred barrel room.JPG
Most of all, it’s wonderful to read of someone who’s doing something to replenish the ozone layer!

I too loved this line - “But perhaps an even more unusual characteristic is that García says AurumRed has different flavours and smells depending on whether you swirl a glass of it clockwise or anticlockwise.”

I think I have told this story here before. Years ago, i was in SF and dined at Claude Kolm’s place. He had decided it was time to try his favorite 1993 - Roumier Musigny. He also invited Kevin Harvey who I “knew” through the Squires board as we often posted in the same burgundy threads. Kevin brought the 90 Roumier Musigny. We were sitting at the table with our two glasses in front of each of us, sniffing and swirling and tasting. At some point, one of the men (I think maybe Claude) used a descriptor - perhaps anise - to describe what he was smelling in one of the wines and Kevin agreed. So i started looking for that aroma but announced I was unable to pick it up. Claude shrugged. Then I stopped and asked the men which way they swirled. Both of them laughed and then said counter-clockwise. I said, well, that’s the problem, I swirl clockwise. That made both of them laugh again. Then each of them started swirling clockwise as a joke i think - but, damn, the wines did smell different swirled that way at least one of them exclaimed in disbelief!

Did they happen to swirl in the exact same manner counter-clockwise as clockwise? I struggle to swirl clockwise. The wine sloshes around quite a bit more. Perhaps there’s differences in the aromas the emirate based on that?

I admit my question is not based on any scientific understanding whatsoever and could easily be BS (though wouldn’t be as much BS as this article…).

Shouldn’f swirling be in the opposite directon south of the equator?

A successful con. P.T. Barnum would be proud.

I’d bet a case of Roumier that no one can distinguish clockwise vs. counterclockwise swirled wine significantly better than random chance in a properly blinded experiment.

Redrum.

A664EFCD-1917-43FD-894C-2A8EDAF4242A.gif