TN: 2010 Rhys Alpine Vineyard Chardonnay

It has been a while since I subjected the Wine Talk forum to one of my tasting notes, but I was inspired by Dave Bueker today to post a note.

This wine poured a few shades darker than I expected and is sort of golden-honey colored in the glass. Nothing wrong with the wine, though. It is still youthful, powerful and energetic. Aromas of white flowers and rainwater. There is a sort of white nectarine quality to the flavor profile, followed by a citrus peel kind of snap at the finish. None of that really matters. More important (to me), the wine is in no way heavy and it is lingering on the palate. This is a wine to contemplate, if you can put the glass down long enough. I am not sorry I opened this wine tonight, but I am glad I have a bottle or two for later on. No reason to hurry on this one.

Sounds delicious.

That’s exactly what it is. Much better than the descriptors I used in my TN! [cheers.gif]

Drinking this again tonight. No formal note, but this bottle seems closer to peak than the one last year. The color is golden tending toward feint orange, but the wine is not advanced. A little white flower and flintiness remains, yet there are more citrus notes than I recall from last bottle. Maybe even a subtle marzipan note. The wine s not acid-driven now, but it certainly is not tired. I am content to do what I can to help flatten the curve. Wines like this one make another night at home seem much more bearable!

EDIT TO ADD: The cork broke apart on opening and the bottom 20% would not come out. I poured the wine through a strainer.

Putting a decade on that Alpine, I see. Good to see you posting, Brad.

We had a 2008 Alpine chard last Tuesday which was absolutely delicious.