Fit-Vine Wines: “We Crush Grapes, You Crush Life”

I would say “we have seen it all now,” but it seems as if there are new wine gimmicks every year. This one, however, made it into my house. My wife and her girlfriends are buying it. It’s billed as a lower sugar, lower calorie wine. Marketed to the so-called workout crowd.

Has a range of reds and whites, and looks like most are under 120 calories. How all this compares to “normal” wine, I have no idea. I don’t care, or count calories. I count taste. Ok, and points. [wow.gif]

I just tried the Sav Blanc that my wife is drinking. It’s really no worse than any of the other ubiquitous whites she drinks and enjoys, and it’s varietally correct for Sav Blanc. I’d say 80-82 points. A few dollars more than the regular NZ Sav Blancs she buys.

I think it sounds like a very good marketing tactic as I’m sure there’s a large amount of people who don’t know which wines are typically lower in sugar and calories.

Mmm 80-82 points. The concept implies less residual sugar than something from the Wagner family, so there’s that.

this is a plus I think. at least if they’re claiming low sugar that puts it in a drier category than most supermarket wines.

FWIW: Ive seen this wine for a couple of years now. Its been on the shelf at my local Whole Foods for a while. probably the perfect place for it to be from a marketing standpoint.

The Sav Blanc was definitely drier than the NZs that my wife tends to drink.

She enjoyed it.

easy way to get 120 kcals of wine… drink less.
or switch to vodka, much better qpr.

Their marketing is entirely made up of misleading claims and outright lies. The wines aren’t lower in calories or sugars than other dry wines with similar ABV. They’re put a ton of money into marketing, so there’s a lot of demand right now. Hopefully it will die out soon.

Doug is correct - misleading in that most wines at about 14% alcohol and that are relatively dry will have under 120 calories per serving, assuming a 5 ounce serving. Increase the alcohol level and calories go up; increase to a 6 ounce glass, and the calories go up; increase RS and the calories go up. Pretty simple math here . . .

But there are folks who don’t understand this - and it’s easy to ‘prey’ upon them with a good marketing story.

Cheers.

But there are folks who don’t understand this

Pretty much the basis of most marketing!

Riedel anyone? Or cosmetic surgery to make you look “younger”?

I thought it would be brilliant to market a wine as “gluten free”. Apparently someone else did too. I saw it next to a wine bottle the other day.

The low-cal thing is brilliant though. Especially if it is exactly like any other wine but you pay a few dollars more for it. Wasn’t that the idea behind Skinny Girl wines?

My wife likes this plonk, I mean wine…the chardonnay has a 115 calories and the Prosecco is less than a 100. I have tried both the chard and the cab and would prefer to drink water but the ladies like it especially the ones who are working out on a regular basis. As someone mentioned, it’s about the marketing and this is serving a pretty large group- health conscious, affordable everyday drinkers. I think they are also arranging lifestyle events such as adventure trips, etc.

Skinny Girl partially de-alcoholizes theirs, so the wines do actually have fewer calories per ounce as claimed (but not per unit of alcohol, of course).