Krug | Keller | Chartron | Cos d'Estournel | Duroché | PYCM | Haart

5 of us gathered for a BBQ and brought some food and wines

Oyster

• NV Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvée - France, Champagne
    Beige label without ID code, V751 letter code on the cork, which means disgorged sept/oct 2007. This wine was richly vinous and expressive, supremely harmonious with gingerbread, hazelnut, brioche and more mature citrus complexity. (94 pts.)
  • 2013 Dhondt-Grellet Champagne Grand Cru Extra Brut Blanc de Blancs Vieille Vigne Le Bateau - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru
    (Degorgement 06/17) Creamy richness, freshness, powerful with good tension, subtle honey notes and grapefruit. (93 pts.)

Lobster

• 2010 Weingut Keller Abts E® Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Rheinhessen
    Smoky scents of hazelnut and mature citrus, gorgeously refined, dry, spicy with precision, depth and superbly long. Impressive now! (95 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine Jean Chartron Chevalier-Montrachet Clos des Chevaliers - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chevalier-Montrachet Grand Cru
    Assertive, compact and powerful, with toast, spices, ripe citrus and good length. Already very enjoyable! (94 pts.)
  • 2015 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Meursault 1er Cru Les Genevrières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru
    More discreet and elegant, limpid and stylish, with fine clarity of citrus fruit and balancing acidity. (93 pts.)
  • 2018 Julian Haart Frauenberg Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Rheinhessen
    White peach, a touch of orange peel, weightless and pure on the palate, with excellent balance, bright acids and good length. (93 pts.)

Côte Boeuf

• 2015 Domaine Duroché Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Lavaut St. Jacques - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru
    Extremely appealing with elegant cherry, gamey nuances, rounded, silky and very delicious. (92 pts.)
  • 2016 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Gevrey-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin
    Pure, stylish, with good concentration of refreshing black fruit, earth, fine silky tannins and delicious spices. Top village! (92 pts.)
  • 1998 Château Rayas Côtes du Rhône Château de Fonsalette Reserve - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône
    More concentrated with subtle dark fruits, wonderful spices, plum and soft integrated tannins, focused and complex. (94 pts.)
  • 1996 Château Cos d’Estournel - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe
    Very savoury character, dense with lovely and ripe tannin, dark tea leaves, green olives, dark berries and fresh acidity. Balanced, long and serious. (94 pts.)
  • 2007 Lucien Le Moine Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Amoureuses - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru
    Intense dark fruit character, more thick, well drawn together lots of presence if not more Le Moine in style than Les Amoureuses. (91 pts.)
  • 2013 Clos Rougeard (Foucault) Saumur-Champigny - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur-Champigny
    Cool fresh, pure, clean, dark and red fruit, balanced, inviting and very charming. A delicious wine! (93 pts.)

Gateau from Philippe Galerne

• 2015 Weingut Keller Abts E® Riesling Auslese - Germany, Rheinhessen
    (alc. 7.5% vol.) Lean, racy, candied apricots and tropical fruit, fine elegant sweet and very delicious. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

nice set of wines. I’ve been buying Chartron since they supply Ramonet Chevalier and it’s 1/3 the price.

We had a bottle of the 2010 Keller Abtserde almost exactly a year ago and found it extremely young still. Sounds like perhaps the last 12 months have had some impact! I’m starting to think these really need 15 years at least to show best.

Yes this bottle was really complex now but will no doubt keep on going for a long time yet.

Thanks for the notes. I think Chartron has lifted its game a lot over the last decade, and the top wines (like the Chevalier) are up there in quality now with other great producers. Sadly the pricing has been catching up too over the last few years!

Yes, I had the 2007 Abtserde side by side with the 2015 about a year ago and not only was the 07 brilliant…it still had so much life left that I’m wondering what these will be like at 20 & 25 years.

That Haart Frauenberg is a rare bird. I only managed to get one bottle. It’s not a GG though. Is it?

Yes hard to get! not written on the label, but think it’s a Grosses Gewächs (GG)

I was at a tasting a bit ago with Ramonet and asked them about this. Just to be clear they exchange grapes only. No juice.

then that’s a change. It was barrels of juice when it first started—2 Chevy for 3 Batard. Thanks.

Frauenberg is a Grand Cru classified vineyard by the German VDP, but Julian is IMHO not (yet) a VDP member. „Grosses Gewächs“ is unfortunately not a protected term in Germany. So it is a Grand Cru in its best sense, but not a VDP.Grosses Gewächs… :slight_smile: Isn’t German wine labeling simple?

Thx about the arcane mysteries of German wine labelling!!

Great set.

A few of us had a bottle of 2010 Abts Erde at a dinner early this year, and it’s easily one of my WOTY. Glad your bottle showed so well too.