TN: 2002 Gouges NSG 1er Cru Les Pruliers

*2002 Domaine Henri Gouges Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Pruliers

Opaque ruby color. Fulsome, most excellent nose of earth, raspberry, iodine, plum pits, hyacinth, and ferric notes. Vibrant, iron-laden layers of red raspberry and black cherry fruit fanning out on the palate with a broad platform of dusty tannin and ample acidity. Long finish of sweet earthy fruit with craggy stone and grip. Soaring, jewel-tinged fruit and the depth of a quarry. And it will only get better.

Cheers,
Doug

mouthwatering note.

Thx Doug. Encouraging note. I have a 96 Pruliers I am terrified of opening. [wink.gif]

Thanks Alan. It was an impressive bott.

Matthew I know what you mean (as in “do these things ever actually mature”). I thought what the heck and dove in. It was worth it.

Cheers,
Doug

Thanks for the note, Doug. When do you reckon you will open a 2nd bottle? I have a single '02 Gouges Pruliers that I have been waiting on, alongside some '02 Chevillon Pruliers that I hope to open against it. Curious if you would recommend waiting another 5YRs versus opening in the next year or so.

Shon

This wine could go for ages. I have always thought of 2002 as being a bit more open and accessible as a vintage, but on the other hand this is Gouges we are talking about. If you have one bottle, the 5 year window sounds about right. The Chevillon won’t suffer either.

Cheers,
Doug

Was really hoping for some peer pressure to open it ‘early’ [cheers.gif]

Shon

Very good now, probably even better later.

Cheers,
Doug

“depth of a quarry” love that descriptor for Gouges Nuits St George

Thanks Suzanne. Loose associations abound after consuming a bit of wine…

Cheers,
Doug

Seriously! I have a couple ‘95 Pruliers, and I’m terrified of opening that! Likewise for ‘96 Les St Georges… anyone have any recent experience in either vintage with Gouges? My non-gouges vintage experiences don’t give me any confidence to be sure…

Josh I am afraid I don’t have any experience with Gouges from either vintage. Others will hopefully chime in.

Cheers,
Doug

Cheers Doug, thanks for the note starting the conversation, I see pretty few notes on Gouges that aren’t along the lines of “try again in 5-10” :wink:

Awesome note. For my money, Gouges may be the most underrated and undervalued producer in Burgundy.

My experience with Gouges has generally been very positive. Only negative was with 2007 Pruliers, but then I found 2007 disappointing overall, not just Gouges. As far as the 95 and 96 go, my vote is give them a try, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Ryan thanks. Agree with you - the tariff for these wines (can’t speak to most recent vintage) has been quite reasonable.

Ross good to know that the wines have shown well. The 02 certainly did.

Cheers,
Doug

Josh

I did not see your reply. Yes that seems to be the prevailing wisdom.

Cheers,
Doug