What an auction find. 1991 Monticello Vineyards Corley Select Reserve (not the Corley Reseve)

First thing to note is that this is not the Corley Reserve. This is the Corley “Select Reserve”, which according to the winery is a blend of the Corley Reserve and Jefferson Cuvee in which the grapes were from Spring Mountatin and Stag’s Leap; harvested on October 10th. I picked up a bottle of this at auction from Spectrum. In pristine shape! Cork was perfect. As shocking as it may sound for a wine like this that doesn’t have the reputation of others, the wine easily could be drunk for another 2 to 5 years if properly cellared; I sense that this wine has been perfectly cellared its entire life. Red fruits and a chocolate character made this wine very appealing. Tannins were certainly present at first, but gracefully faded rather rapidly. Color was still dark red with almost no browning…unbelievable. If I had to grade it, lets say a 92. The wine must not have been filtered as it threw a lot of sediment, which probably contributed to how it could age so well. 83% Cabernet Sauvignon and 17% Merlot. 14.1 per cent alcohol. What an utter steal of a wine. Went quite well with D’artagnon Wild Boar roast.