1970 La Fleur-Pétrus.

1970 Château La Fleur-Pétrus (my bottle, stood upright for 2 days, quickly decanted to remove sediment, then immediately returned to bottle for transport to restaurant night before last) - Silken and quietly serious. Just under being legitimately full-bodied (think: a trim light-heavyweight). Slight ferrous/sanguine nuances. My bottles of this (sourced from a private collector in Singapore, all VTS) have all been in good form so far. That said, I’m finishing up this batch as I believe they are beginning to slowly decline. No real rush though. Probably a few more years in the tank; but I’m not waiting to find out exactly how many.
A7BE0458-6009-4BC2-BF8D-0F2C7B7B2918.jpeg

[wow.gif]

Nice!

Yup! And, from what I’ve seen, materially less costly than Pétrus (a fraction really), Lafleur & even Trotanoy of the same vintage. ‘70 La Conseillante marginally pricier; but I haven’t tried one out yet.

Look for L’Evangile which was really strong in 1970. I would also look at some of the 1975 Pomerols, which was excellent that vintage, and less consistent in Saint Emilion, but the good ones such as Figeac and Magdelaine are still in great form.

Yup, I have some ‘70 La Conseillante. Just haven’t opened any yet.

We had the 70 l’Evangile for my birthday a year or two ago, and I think the label said 11% abv !

Good fill but my example was a little faded.

Mark (G) any thoughts on this? Apologies in advance for the thread drift.
3E90DA34-1D16-47B4-996A-275C9115ADC4.jpeg
Picked up v cheaply at auction recently. Not bad but pretty tired.

Sorry, can’t say I have ever had an old Bon Pasteur

Sorry I should have asked Jeff Leve, Jeff if you are watching? I am sure Jeff would know, and what’s with the St-Emilion on the label?

Ian… Super cool!

I’ve had Bon Pasteur back to 1959.

Bon Pasteur, like a few other Pomerol chateaux have a small portion of their vineyards in Saint Emilion. They have the right to use those vines in Pomerol or Saint Emilion.

FWIW, there are also Left Bank estates with vines in different appellations.

Many thanks Jeff, fascinating.

I got ten of these for £100 at auction, here in the UK a few weeks ago.

The first bottle was tired but by no means kaput.

The oldest Le Bon Pasteur I’ve had was from ‘82. Nothing noteworthy. I certainly expected more from it.

Ian… if I wasn’t clear, all the vines used for your wine are from Saint Emilion. Your bottle has nothing to do with Bon Pasteur you normally think of, or Pomerol. Those grapes were probably sold to a negociant.

During the early to mid 70’s, and for sometime before that, Bon Pasteur sold all of their harvest from Pomerol and Saint Emilion to negociants.

Hope this helps…