2017 Alban Viognier Central Coast - thoughts?

Was wondering what other people may think of this wine. I picked up three bottles of this last month during our yearly trip to Chicago at Binny’s. I thought the price good, although I don’t know what it would go for off the mailing list as I was dropped several years ago. Regardless, I have always enjoyed their wines and will pick them up whenever I can at a reasonable price. I looked to CellarTracker and there was not much to be had on the 2017. Most past vintages range from 89-91 points for what it’s worth. Has anyone else tried this and if so what are your impressions. I opened the first of three tonight …

More importantly, what was your impression?

To me, it is over the top. He does two viogniers and this is the lesser one. I’ve tasted them side by side and the Estate is a better wine, but also more expensive. In general, viogniers don’t handle the oak very well and sometimes have sort of a “cardboard” finish, if that makes any sense.

The Estate roussanne is his best white and seems to handle the “Alban treatment” a lot better.

Tasted this blind recently in a lineup of Central Coast Viogniers and agree with James.

I revisited this last night. It was better on day 2 as it seemed to have settled down a bit. On day one it was definitely over the top. To the point where I couldn’t even drink it. I was wondering if the bottle was bad and I even contemplated pouring it out. On day two, while still not overly enjoyable I could drink and appreciate it to some degree. The flavors that seemed most dominant to me were anise (not enjoyable), honey and some peach. I had a similar but certainly different experience with an Alban Roussanne a few years back and thought that bottle bad as well. That one I did pour out – I guess I should have given it another day.

I bought 3 bottles of the 2016 awhile back, but they’re sitting in the retailer’s warehouse, so I haven’t tried one yet. Based on the notes I’ve read, my expectations are low. (paid $23/bottle)

“Over the top” = a bad bottle?

That isn’t clear - usually when someone describes a wine as “over the top” they mean really ripe, sweet, maybe oaky, i.e. so much of a good thing that it’s not good any more. A bad bottle usually refers to a flaw that wasn’t intentional.

Seems to me that you just don’t like Alban wines, which is completely understandable. Many people don’t.

Jon,

A few questions:

1. Have you had their Central Coast Viognier bottling in the past? If so, what did you think of it then?
  2. What flavor profile of Viognier do you enjoy or appreciate?

I have always found this bottle an ‘in your face’ style of Viognier, one that is somewhat of a benchmark for that riper style of this variety that CA is known for. I’ve found it enjoyable in a hedonistic way, but not one to lay down as I find John’s viogniers not to age wonderfully well (as opposed to his Roussannes, which are truly world class IMHO).

Bummer that you didn’t have more patience with that roussanne - my experience has been that these actually do usually improve quite a bit on day 2.

Cheers!

I guess my first impressions were that the nose was so intense and quite frankly off-putting that I couldn’t wrap my brain around it. I kept thinking about the flavor/notes but couldn’t quite put my finger on it. After the next day and discussing it with my wife the overwhelming flavor that came out for me was the anise/liquorice that I’m not a fan of. I guess that anise which I don’t typically experience like this is what made me think it could be a bad bottle. It was less intense on day 2 but still quite noticeable. I still have 2 more bottles. I’m thinking that I may wait another year before trying another. I do admit that my overall experience with viognier is not that deep so my inexperience with this varietal could certainly be a factor.

Intersting - so if this wine did not have that anise flavor, you would have been happier? Just trying to understand. I’ve never felt that ‘anise’ was a fault - but there are plenty of folks that do not like that aroma or flavor whatsoever so I understand your ‘displeasure’ with the wine.

Cheers.

Yes, if it had been more in the background I would have been happier. If the honey and peach had been more predominant then that would be better for me. I don’t know what that says about me … maybe I shouldn’t buy any more viognier :slight_smile:

Ugh…I have a bunch of the Estate Viognier and Roussanne in my cellar I never got around to due to their flavors in their youth. Think 2005 thru 2010.

I just finished up my 2007 and 2008 Estate Roussannes and they were fine. Deep gold color and they take on a nutty characteristic. The viogniers are likely goners.

Totally agree - the Roussannes are different beasts than the Viogniers for sure. I’ve had generally good luck with these in the past. And even at 16% alcohol in some cases, they tend to show grace and balance, even close to room temperature.

Cheers