TN: 2016 François Lumpp - 1er Cru Clos du Cras Long (France, Burgundy, Côte Chalonnaise, Givry 1er Cru)

2016 François Lumpp Givry 1er Cru Clos du Cras Long - France, Burgundy, Côte Chalonnaise, Givry 1er Cru (4/30/2019)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 2.5 hours –

NOSE: initially, very tight; tart red fruits (tight) with hint of pine; slight savory bent; remained high-toned with air, but did become more “dark” with air.

BODY: light to medium-light bodied.

TASTE: medium+ to high acidity; red-fruited; clean; not oaky; alcohol hidden; very “pure”; tart; Ash and I both like this a lot. Ash would pay up to $65. Fantastic QPR, and a definite re-buy for me. Gut impression score: 91 – 92.

Love it. These are the best QPR wines on earth when you can find them for $40.

Let’s just not shout it too loudly.

I paid $43, and have exactly one regret: not buying more than two bottles.

One of the first producers to plant high-quality selections of Pinot Noir from the Côte d’Or in the Côte Chalonnaise, breaking the vicious cycle that long held back that region’s wines. 2017s are also very tasty, a bit more open-knit and front-loaded than 2016s, but for wines that will mostly be drunk comparatively young, that’s not such a problem.

I had a similar experience with the 2016 Brulee, which was the first Lumpp wine I tried. They’re coming in at about $66CAD/$49USD all-in here, and I immediately went back for more. My note:

• 2016 François Lumpp Givry 1er Cru La Brûlée - France, Burgundy, Côte Chalonnaise, Givry 1er Cru (3/14/2019)
    Believe the hype. This is a gorgeous wine that over delivers for the appellation and price. It pours a moderate ruby, translucent, with purple at the rim. The nose starts in a pretty place, but is a little tight. Over the following 24 hours it fans out and becomes stunning. Notes of dark cherry, cranberry, pomegranate, bitters, herb liquor, toast, cinnamon, cloves, dried lemon peel, rose petal, oak, and perfume. The oak is noted (30% new) but clearly high quality and is integrating. Needlessly to say very complex. The palate is a little rough today with sharp acid and medium tannin, but the finish repeats much of the complexity of the nose. I expect a very promising future for this wine, but wouldn’t be inclined to touch one for a few years yet. (93 pts.)

Thanks for the TN. I had tried some of his 05’s on release and found them a little too big scaled and extracted for my palate so I have not tasted his wines since. Sounds like he has hit the zone however, will have to revisit this producer.

this is one time when you are happy to take your lumpps.

Is this Lumpp outta my head?
I think so