TN: NV Pierre Moncuit - Champagne Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Brut (France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru)

NV Pierre Moncuit Champagne Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Brut - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (4/26/2019)
Bruised apple on the Nose, without much in the way of complicating notes. Light bodied. Airy mouthfeel. Very dry mouthfeel. High acidity. Crisp golden delicious apple. Doesn’t come across as rich — rather, fairly lean and mineral-driven, but does have some guts/drive; crisp; low-level excellent. Ash would pay up to $65 for a 750mL; this 375mL was $25, and is worth a re-buy at that price. Gut impression score: 90 – 91.

I really love this wine and think it’s a great value (I’m not sure if I’ve had a better Champagne for less money). I’ve been buying 375s, but I think I’ll pick up a couple 750s.

I’m pretty new at this, but my notes from 3/30/19 were:

48 degrees; white wine class

Nose: cream, buttered biscuit, soft pear, faint lemon peel

Palate: cream to outside of biscuit (the brown part) to pear and lighter/balanced minerality, finishes with a fine, creamy and foamy mousse and a touch of biscuit and minerality on the finish (biscuit fades and soft mineral is left); dry; medium+ acid; light+ body; fine/very fine bubbles with great bubble approach – not too agressive.

Overall thoughts: Really great. Very nice balance on the palate in terms of mouthfeel and flavor. Fine bubbles with an appropriate strength on the palate. The cream is the most noticeable flavor for me, although not exceptionally strong. Great foamy and creamy finish. There is some minerality, but it’s balanced very nicely and adds complimentary element.

92 pts

Nice note, Jordan! (far better than mine). Thank you for sharing. [cheers.gif]

Big fan of Pierre Moncuit here.

Is this the same as the Cuvée Pierre Moncuit-Delos Blanc de Blancs Brut? Clicking through on your tasting note link, the images show the Cuvée Pierre Moncuit-Delos bottle.

If so, it’s a terrific value. And so is the Pierre Moncuit Cuvée Hugues de Coulmet Blanc de Blancs Brut. The Hugues de Coulmet BdB is my go-to daily drinker Champagne.

Both cuvées can be found for $32-35 USD for 750ml. In fact, Spectrum regularly has multiple lots of the Hugues de Coulmet BdB in cases of 12 in their auctions. Seems they can’t get rid of it. I just bought another case of 12 and it worked out to $35/bottle including premium.

I just mentioned Moncuit Hughes de Coulmet on this thread.

Cheers,
Warren

Thanks for the note. Envoyer offered the 2006 Pierre Moncuit Champagne Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Brut Millésimé (Domaine Direct Late Release) for $60 on pre-arrival last week. I responded two days ago and was able to get a bottle. Heads up in case you were interested.

Viet, Envoyer originally offered the 2006 Millesime back in Feb 2016 for $49.99. This is at least the second offer - but at a 20% price hike. FWIW I opened a bottle last weekend and liked it very much. Stylistically it reminded me of Bollinger.

Haha, I guess that’s why there are some left even though I requested it late. I’ll just consider it $10 for three years of storage and at least it sounds like it’s drinking well :+1:

:grinning: Yeah, $3.33 a year for storage is more than reasonable!