Tempier Rose - worth extended cellaring?

I’ve been thinking about putting down some domaine Tempier Rose for long term cellaring. Anybody with experience past a few years have thoughts as to if it’s worth the wait? Does it transform into a curiosity or a possible eye opener?

I think they are better with 3 to 5 years on them

Tempier is one of the rosés that definitely improves with age. They tend to lose some of the their youthful exuberance, in exchange for enhanced texture and length. After a few years, you can really start to notice the difference. I usually stash a sixer or more of 750mls and some mags, depending on what my budget looks like.

There are (at least) 2 rosés that might stand longer cellaring - Tempier and Mordorée (Reine des Bois) …
I had a 2009 of the latter recently that gained in winey texture (but had less freshness), so a matter of tasted if it pays …

I think this depends on how much cellar space you have. For me, the wine definitely improves, but not into something profound. Perhaps I needed to lay it down for a few more years, but I think my limited cellar space is better devoted to aging other categories of wines, and then drinking less expensive roses (something closer to $20 than $40 / bottle) within 1-2 years of release.

funny - just had an absolutely stunning 2014 last night. resounding yes on laying these down.

Can I offer a contrarian opinion? Yes, they hold up, but for me the beauty of Tempier (and why I pay the tariff) is the fireworks of floral, spicy fruit when they’re young. There’s sometimes more or less of that, depending on vintage, but it all disappears after a year or so (in my experience, after about 6 months, actually). With time, all the vintages tend to coalesce into the same wine, with the trademark Tempier depth and spice. But the fresher fruit and floral fireworks are gone. I drink mine within the year I buy them, though one or two may escape in a hidden corner.

+1 on this. Not all wines need to age. Tempier is my favorite rose, and like my tortoises awakening from their winter hibernation, I look forward to seeing Tempier hit shelves in the spring. It’s a sign of renewal and the coming joys of summer. I might buy a case and drink them entirely in one summer with all the other bounty of the season – stone fruit, heirloom tomatoes, white corn, grilled halibut, you get the idea. I love that just-ripe cantaloupe-meets-underbrush note that reminds me of long, warm nights in the SoCal chaparral. I think I would lose that if I aged them … I feel much the same way about Zinfandel. Yes, you can age them and get those claret notes but why sand off its trademark notes of ebullient fruit and spice? Just my two cents.

I think it transforms into an eye opener. It becomes a totally different and imho a better wine. Yes, you will lose that just bottled freshness, but you gain depth, complexity, and some unique characteristics.

The oldest Tempier Rosé I have had was 31 yrs old. For me, and the other winemakers I was with, it was a borderline out of body experience. I’ve had slightly older Terrebrune which I thought aged even better. I’ve popped two Tempier’ 09s this year. After a decant (they needed it)- they were out of sight, I’ll keep my hands off my other '09s for at least a 5yrs.

With Tempier hold it 1 year at the least.

1 Like

I’ve only ever had them young (and loved them). I suspect though that I’d really appreciate them with some serious age, given Hardy’s comment above.

I had 1999 Domaine Tempier Bandol Rose in March last year, it was still in its vibrant and good flavours of black and redcurrants, herby as well. It paired nicely with a creamy fish dish. Tonight I will bring a 2009 vintage on a dinner with friends, I hope it will be good with a pasta dish.

Alino in the house. Welcome and good to see your post here.

I’ve had them with a few years of age, but never really extended aging. I’d love to be convinced someday, but for now I’m still drinking them young.

Etienne from Pradeaux told me how frustrating the rose market is to him. “The market wants it released asap, but the wines need time”. I think almost all the top rose wines benefit from a year or two of age. It is a nice situation for the consumer, because a lot of this stuff gets closed out as retailers think of year old rose as dead stock.

I have tasted a lot of older Rosés of different kind, including Tempier and Tavel, and I don´t see any virtue beyond 5 years.
Usually they lose freshness after 2-3 years, getting a bit softer but not really more depth or interest.
But Tempier is at least holding very well.

This is what I would expect with intermediate cellaring. I’m thinking the long haul, like 15-20 years, not sure I’ll make it 30 more but Hardy’s 31 year old sounds like what I’m hoping for. But it’s a long investment in time without many data points it seems.

Does anyone know if the Bandol domaines keep cellars with ancient rose wines?

I’m curious how how long you’d recommend decanting and what serving temperature you recommend. I had my first ever recently, the 2016. For the first hour the nose was tight and had a weird sulfur note (IMO added sulfur, not reduction), but it fanned out nicely after.

I’m not sure it would be worthwhile unless you have a ton of empty cellar space. My storage is not such that I would even think of laying any Rose’s down for more than a year or two. One of the pleasures of Rose’ to me is its freshness. Tempier Bandol Rose’ is really nice but like it more at the beginning than later when it loses its spice and verve.

I served one to the tasting group which was maybe 2-3 years after the release date, and it was a good wine but mildly disappointing. It did seem notably to lack some of the freshness and zip that you would expect.

Maybe that was just right in the dreaded in-between period for aging. After youth, not yet into a good next phase.

I’d sure be interested to try an older bottle. I have very little idea what that would be like.

+1 on this. The Pradeaux 17 was so much better this spring than I remember it last summer, just like I’d expect a white or red to relax and give more with bottle time.