TN: 2009 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Auslese

I wish that I knew what I know now (about JJ Prum), when I was younger…if I had to limit my wine buying to only a handful of producers, JJ Prum would be one of them.

• 2009 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (7/14/2019)
    This was killing it right upon opening. Hints of matchstick, and sweet orchard fruit on the exuberant nose. Super creamy mouthfeel with layers of tropical fruit that feels not quite auslese, and that is just fine. So dense and broad and full, it just coats the palate and lingers. Acidity that right now is wiry and pops all about. There is a balance of layers of dense fruit and sparkling acidity that leads into a finish that sails on and on. So many years to go, but no harm right now and just wonderful with not-too-spicy sichuan dumplings and noodles.

Posted from CellarTracker

Yum, I really enjoy aged Auslese with steak after someone turned me on to it.

That sounds like a crazy pairing to me. How old was the Auslese and how was the steak prepared?

Riesling pairs extremely well with almost all kind of food. Including steak

As Claus said, I’ve been of the mind to pair it with almost anything, though, never had Auslese and steak. Say more…

Killer note, thanks Dennis.

Tom

Does Prum ever take off into the price stratosphere like so many seem to have, or does it stay an amazing value for a long time?

Shhhh…

Thx for the tn. Just bought 6 bttles of this to try it out.

[thumbs-up.gif]

One of the wine world’s greatest QPR…this wine will be kicking ass in 2035… And I paid what for it??

Not much in context.

One of a handful of the greatest wineries in the world, and the wines are readily available for less than $50.

Anything around the 20 year mark where the baby fat has receded and all that acidity balances it out with any highly marbled cut seared to your liking.

Sounds great! I’m drinking a 2001 P. Licht Auslese (not the best Auslese, but still solid) now and can kind of see how the petrol and spiced notes along with the decent acidity could go with a steak. I’ll try the combo out next time I make steak.