Lewelling 2007 Wight

So, tonight I opened up a 2007 Lewelling Wight.

Maybe I am a masochist, but I have had so many underwhelming 2007 Napa cabs of late (flabby, hot, disjointed), that after a really (really) bad performance by a 2007 Maybach, I just wanted to see how bad things could be. I checked CellarTracker, and the recent notes are not flattering. I have had the regular Lewelling bottling twice, and both times it was, well, not enjoyable. So, I pulled a couple other bottles out, assuming I would go to those quickly after not enjoying the Lewelling.

But, and it is early, it isn’t half bad. Maybe my expectations were so low that anything would have been ok, but my first few sips (after decanting for five hours) were like velvet. Nose was not hot at all, and no sign of stewed fruit or raisins. It is a big wine, no doubt about it, but the Flannery NY Strip has worked well to mellow it out. Now, it isn’t at the level of the 2004 Wight, which has been my favorite, but I will keep my other two and see how they age.

Let me go back to the 2007 Maybach if I can - had it last weekend, tasted by six people, and it was downright unpleasant. One person said Port. One said stewed/heat spoiled. One said box wine and thought I was playing a joke. The only person who knew what Maybach was (and has had a few), tried as he could to like it but couldn’t. I saved a half bottle of it for the next day, and it did not improve. Maybe the most disappointing wine I have had in years.

I don’t know what everyone else’s experiences have been recently with the 2007 vintage, but I have enjoyed the 2011 vintage way more than the 2007 recently. Who would have thunk?

1 Like

Thanks for the Wight note. I expect to drink mine sooner rather than later. There was an '07 Wight note on CT yesterday. Take a look.

Interesting that someone else drank this wine yesterday (and posted on CT). My only follow up notes are that after I put the food away, the last glass did seem hot on the nose, and less balanced. I didn’t get the port notes as strongly as the CT note, but I also wonder if this has any chance and coming into balance (I hope so, but wouldn’t put money on it). I will likely try another one soon, and put the last one away for “science.”

I don’t recall tasting this upon release so I am guessing that something really bad happened during the past15 years since Parker gave it 98 points. It certainly doesn’t resemble a 98 point wine at this point. 15.8 % has not been kind to this over the years. Evidently it has turned from a decent cab into some kind of Frankenstein wine. Drinkable? Yes. Enjoyable? Definitely not. A pruny mess of a wine. I just purchased their newly released 2019 before tasting this and I hope it is a better wine.

It has been a mess for years. Some succeeding vintages also. Haley told me they were “backing off”, as trending in Napa, but I stopped buying.

It’s such a shame. It’s an incredible vineyard and the wines they were making in the late 90’s and early 2000’s were fantastic. Those wines were in the 14.5%ish if I remember and had terrific fruit, charm and balance. We had some great visits with David as well. I stopped buying in 2008 and sold off my 2007’s. I did recently get the offer and was curious on the current style. Hope they find their way back to the pre 2005 days.

cheers

3 Likes

Just an anecdote, but this post got me thinking. I have only one 2007 Napa Cab in my cellar, so I opened one tonight - Rivers-Marie Napa Valley, and it is just delightful. Balanced, a little spicy, fine tannins with structure, and years ahead of it.

1 Like

Bought a ton of the regular 2007 Lewelling bottling after the reviews. Upon tasting some time later, also sold them all off in 2011.

Have had a couple over the last several years, and the heat is definitely winning the battle as this cab descends into syrup/late-harvest territory. Reminds me a lot of a Turley zin, which really isn’t the look I’m hoping for with a storied Napa cab (but definitely a stereotypical Lewelling Wight).

To be fair, I still a sent a pic of the bottle, with a middle finger to @Mark_Y , but that’s just because I know how much he loves these high-octane Napa cabs.

1 Like

2007 was the pinnacle of Lewelling chasing and we sold it after fighting to get accounts to taste and buy 2005 and 2006. 2007 was always an odd duck that I never put down to age regardless of the Parker press, along with most 2007s, but the 2008 was flat out awesome.

Thanks for the jog down memory lane.

1 Like