TN: 2013 Domaine Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Chaumées

• 2013 Domaine Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Chaumées - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru (7/13/2019)
    Every time I drink Ramonet I am surprised by balanced it is. In this difficult vintage this wine is very refined and balanced with a nice crispness and refreshing acidity. The fruit is nicely balanced with good weight and there is no awkward oak or heat. A wonderful wine with peel and eat shrimp. Can’t ask for more. Did I mention how balanced this was?

Posted from CellarTracker

Very nice!

never seen this wine! Awesome.

Fred,

I think one of the keys to what makes Ramonet great is the balance and elegance.

I also think 2013 has turned out really well for whites. I’m currently sucking down a '13 PYCM St Aubin ‘Le Banc’ watching the world cup cricket and its in fine form.

Cheers
Jeremy

They have owned the vineyard for quite a while but only actually got around to planting it relatively recently.

there is an 09 for sale via wine-searcher so must have been planted 04 or earlier since the first few vintages aren’t sold. Interesting.

Agree on both counts Jeremy!

I suspect the initially poorly received 2013 vintage may end up being very good to excellent for both red and white alike.

“Relatively” was in the context of the domaine’s long history: they bought it in the early 70s and planted it in the late 80s IIRC. Apparently it was previously someone’s garden. If you have Khiem Le’s book the story is told there I think.

But the idea of leaving a parcel like that fallow for fifteen or so years tells you a lot about how the economics of making wine in Burgundy has changed in just a few decades.

don’t have his book—yet—but will soon. Interesting that, as much as a Ramonet groupie that I am, I haven’t ever seen this vineyard chez Ramonet, especially since the vines are 30+ years old. Have to rectify that omission. Thanks, William.