TN: 2014 Domaine du Chateau de Meursault Meursault 1er Cru Charmes

• 2014 Domaine du Chateau de Meursault Meursault 1er Cru Charmes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru (7/12/2019)
    Classic Meursault, rich, heady, voluminous and full. There’s plenty of almond butter and ripe peach fruit. It is layered and creamy and finishes with some tangerine and lemon freshness. Length is very good.

Posted from CellarTracker

Is that the dessus?

They must have improved a lot over the years. I went there in 2002 and the wines I tasted were nothing special. Glad to read about the improvement.

agree. Only had a couple and wasn’t impressed. But 14 is a great vintage. Still those big bottles?

Just the standard Charmes, Michael.

Yes unfortunately.

Priced ambitiously - or maybe just ‘touristically!’ - like the heavy bottles.
But tons of investment here since the Halley family (previous owners of Carrefour supermarkets) bought around 2012/2013. Still, not the best quality in the village but great parcels and genuinely excellent wines now, if still some strong affinity to oak in their production. Château de Marsannay was bought at the same time by the Halleys, that took longer to make something excellent - ie not too extracted - not helped by frost in 2016. I’d say the 2017s are their first very good vintage in Marsannay…

That was also my take away Bill. I’ve only ever had one, IIRC it was the '14 Perrieres in August of last year. Ample oak on both the nose and palate.