Tough night with senescent wines; St. Joseph and Champagne

I wanted some wines with a few years under their belts and some “oomph” to stand up to halibut curry.

2009 Domaine Faury St. Joseph Blanc

Note to self; don’t lose St. Joseph Blancs in the cellar for years. Long in the tooth (to the point of being edentulous). Advanced with oxidized pineapple aromas, flabby palate. Down the sink

Next up: back-up

NV David Leclapart Champagne Premier Cru L’Artiste Blanc de Blancs Pas Dosé Trépail

This was bycatch; an older bottle purchased at auction in a mixed lot (and not my target). I believe it was a '97. Maybe not fully over the hill, but well beyond the apex of said hill. Drinkable but not much more.

Curry was awesome.

Cheers,
Warren

I’ll admit, I had to google senescent.

Better luck tonight!

Best word used in a tasting note title!

. . . paired with what might be the best word ever used in any post in the tasting note itself: edentulous

Senescent wines become evanescent and ultimately lose their luminescence, ephemeral in fact, like leaves susurrating in a warm summer breeze.

Rather than whip out my dicktionary I’ll just sad that 09 Rhone tn makes me sad. Should have been so good now.

I used to know what it meant, but I got old and forgot.

I tend to prefer pubescent white rhones myself, for the most part.

[cheers.gif]

A movingly nostalgic and elegiac tasting note for a wine from a more halcyon time.

A wistful journey to bygone days.

A good Popsicle is quiescently frozen.

Speaking of St Joseph blanc, I think I have a bottle of the 09 Gonon Oliviers blanc in my cellar. Maybe I should drink it soon. I had hopes at one point that these Gonon whites would evolve something like a Hermitage blanc which are delicious and spectacular with age.

Their vines are growing on steeply sloped vineyards in granite soil and are directly across the river from Hermitage hill. Before they blew up, they were very reasonably priced, but the 2010 was the last time I bought, as the price and popularity rose out of a good value buy for me.

Hey Warren tell me how you did the halibut curry. Sounds very interesting!

Sounds more callipygian to me :slight_smile: