TN: 2010 Vincent Dauvissat (René & Vincent) Chablis 1er Cru La Forest

Pop and pour. Drunk over a few hours.

• 2010 Vincent Dauvissat (René & Vincent) Chablis 1er Cru La Forest - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (7/11/2019)
    Lemon curd, oyster shell, chalk, marzipan, fresh cream, honey, and subtle florals on the nose. On the palate, it’s chalky, chiseled, and toothsome with great density and breadth, yet it remains simultaneously fresh and lifted. The fruit leans toward pear and lemon rind, with more marzipan, a little honey, and with a ton of chalky/ oyster shell soil notes. Powerful, yet focused, with great dry extract and terrific cut. A harmonious mix of soil, acid, and fruit. A contemplative, beautifully balanced wine that is showing early peak at this time. Very long on the back end. Terrific. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for reading

Thank G*d this isn’t another threat featuring an oxidized Dauvissat. Glad to read your excellent note.

Cheers,
Warren

I am glad too Warren. I was holding my breath when I pulled the bottle out of the racking, immediately putting flashlight to the bottle to look at the color. Thankfully, this was a good one. If I was not afraid of the Pox in this wine I would bury my remaining bottles for several years, but I am afraid and won’t. Fingers crossed for the remaining bottles.

Great to hear. BTW, if a bottle is going to be pox’d, it’s already on its way. No real gain in opening one now if you think it will be better with more years.

Good point Alan.

Had a 2005 Forest last night. It was singing!!! Poster child for why you age white Burgundy.

Yes, his 05s are in a nice place now, especially with an hour decant.

Thanks for the note. At what age do generally like to drink the VD Forest? I’ve never had one with more than 10 years of age and I am sitting on some 08, 09 and 10.

Agree

I’ve had a few of the 2008, most recently last December. All have been clean. IMHO a good but not excellent vintage without the cut or salinity I’d expect, rounder than most vintages. I think fine to drink now, and see if you want to age some more. I’ve not had the 09 or 10.
I’ve tended to start drinking my La Forest at about 10 years, checking in sooner if quantity.

Forest? Or 2008 Dauvissat in general? Because I had this one earlier in the year:

2008 Vincent Dauvissat (René & Vincent) Chablis 1er Cru Vaillons - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (4/23/2019)
Strong sea spray nose, lovely medium intensity, lighter weight but excellent depth, minerality and saline dance across the palate, excellent balance, still very young; later in the evening there is beautiful medium depth, a little less tight, more open, great salinity and acidity, light minerality, tremendous intensity and length, beautiful sea spray and ocean notes. Fabulous Chablis. (94 pts.)

I find that after about 8 years you can start to see La Forest from the trees. After Preuses it’s my favorite wine from his stable, and until recent vintages a bargain at $60.

08 is beginning to show very well now (oxidation issues aside, which I haven’t experienced in France). Great vintage for Dauvissat, maybe even the best of the decade for him.

nicely put!

I remember buying a handful of these when they popped up locally for $60 around 5 years ago. Loved every bottle, even the young ones.
Seems like stealing now at $60 and I would back up cars and trucks if I saw that price again.

Nice note, Todd! Sounds great.

Thanks everyone. I just looked, mine were $60 from Crush all in delivered to AZ. Insert nostalgic emoticon here.

Happy weekend!

Had the 12 almost a year apart. Big difference in quality of the two. Last bottle was not flawed just didn’t enjoy it as much.

2012 Vincent Dauvissat (René & Vincent) Chablis 1er Cru La Forest - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (7/6/2019)
Mixed Bag at Kevin’s (Minneapolis, MN): Not much going on here. Not bad but not interesting. Shells, green in nature with saline and stone fruit. Short finish. Not sure if this will improve. This pales in comparison to the last bottle I had so maybe just an off bottle. (89 points)
2012 Vincent Dauvissat (René & Vincent) Chablis 1er Cru La Forest - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (7/15/2018)
Wonderful wine! Shells, perfume, lemon and minerals. Very complex wine and medium to long finish. Would love to try a larger pour of this at a smaller tasting. (94 points)

It’s too bad there’s the pox fear out there, but it’s unfortunately a fact. Seems more likely, or to hit earlier, in wines shipped to the states (perhaps west coast worse?) I think premox just hits earlier in these situations, and will catch up in France later.

I don’t think drinking them any earlier really gains you anything–then you just get wines that are still somewhat closed up, and haven’t had a chance to reach their potential, although depends upon the vintage. I agree 8 years on is a good starting point for Forest.

For me the best vintage in recent memory was 2007–very classic wines. 2008 is very good but a bit richer and less classic. 2014 also excellent, but mostly too early.

Just opened a 2010 Clos last night. Pretty shut down. Drank it down to about 1/3rd. Popped it later today and it was quite glorious.

I just opened an 09 last Tuesday and my only regret was not decanting it. It was a winebid purchase and was in amazing shape