2016 TN: A non-Cornas-like Cornas from Gilles

2016 Guillaume Gilles Cornas Nouvelle R Les Rieux

I’m hard to please when it comes to Cornas. Some bottles are just too traditional – rustic, a tad hard, and too much barnyard. Others are too modern – glossy, a tad ripe and a bit indistinct. Gilles is usually a sweet spot producer for me. But this bottle left me nonplussed. It almost drank like a glou-glou Beaujolais – plenty of juicy blackberry fruit and uplifting acids. But for the life of me I couldn’t detect any tannins. There wasn’t much grip. I need me some savory notes or just a wee bit of funk. I want a beauty mark in a bottle of Cornas to hold my attention. This was just too easy-going and bad QPR at $55. I will try the regular Cornas bottle in a bit to compare and contrast.

This is the first time I’ve had a wine from this particular plot. Any one else have more satisfying results? Is this typical?

This is the wine from a newer vineyard planting, higher up on the plateau above the older, steep part of Cornas, right? Richer soil, younger vines, so maybe not a big surprise?

Thanks for info, Alan. I guess it makes sense. If you served me this blind, I’d be hard pressed to identify it as N. Rhone I bet …

Maybe age 3 isn’t the when this will show best, but I haven’t tried anything from this producer.

Young syrah seems to have a matchstick, asphalt, sulfury note to me so normally I let time do her magic on this AOC.

I bought a few bottles of a new vigneron’s 2017 VdF Syrah which was sold as something that will be Cornas in future vintages. It drinks very much like what you describe here but was priced at 16.50 € a bottle which seems somewhat reasonable, although of course one can get really serious and structured Saint Joseph with just a few extra Euros.

damn this is $55 now?

Maybe leave some for tomorrow? My note on this wine:

11/17/2018
Well, here’s another very easy-drinking and fresh 2016 wine from the Northern Rhone. This has a pretty, lifted floral/fruity nose strongly accented by darker savory notes that intensify on day 2. On the palate it’s all perfectly ripe, juicy fruit (raspberry/boysenberry if one must), autumnal savory notes, and, with lots of air, a mouthwatering mineral finish. There is just the barest sense of tannins. This is very good and will probably mature in the shorter term. The 2015 blew me away with its power and complexity and this just isn’t that, but that’s no crime.

Damn hipsters. Crush sent an email claiming this is now his “it” wine and impossible to find [tease.gif]

I’ve received many emails saying the same, at higher pricing than $55. most shops in US I believe are $70-75+.
I tried the wine a few weeks ago, and (for me) it showed some heat… didn’t understand the QPR at $75.

I think it’s similar to what Balthazar is doing with his Sans Soufre, which is a fun wine but in a glou glou kind of way, which isn’t meant for aging or to be very representative of Cornas imo.

It’s fine, but was not something that causes me to rush out and buy more. Greg is on point with his comment.

I thought 2016 Balthazar Chaillot was a level ahead of the Gilles at the same US price…

In fairness, the 16 Balthazar Chaillot is spectacular and I went big on it, so that’s not necessarily a criticism to me. Gilles is consistently very good, happy to buy it every year.

Guillaume Gilles Cornas Nouvelle R Les Rieux 2017 : 17,5/20 - 14/10/2019
A gem, pure, balanced, so persistantly elegant (nearly a Cote-Rôtie style).

PS : the Cornas 2010 I had a few weeks ago was definitly not ready to drink.

Had another bottle of this recently, liked it better. I think it’s significantly better than Balthazar’s Sans Soufre, though I also don’t think it’s as good as Gilles’ Cornas bottling either.

7 may 2019 :
Franck Balthazar Sélections Cornas Chaillot 2016 : 17/20
An excellent wine. I suppose it is the cuvée with sulfur.

I’m pretty sure the Casimir also uses sulfur. The sans soufre is a young vines experiment for him, as I understand it.