TN: 1998 Troplong Mondot

To celebrate the midweek, 1998 Troplong Mondot, 13% alcohol, was uncorked last night. Opulently styled, with remarkable freshness, this excellently balanced Saint-Emilion is clearly on the delicate side of the classical spectrum. Nothing is overdone here. I think this expansive, velvety wine has just begun to enter its plateau of maturity and has enough fruit and acidity to go a long way, but it lacks a bit of originality and precision to be really extraordinary. A joy nonetheless, of course.

1998-Troplong-Mondot.jpg

Nice TN. Last had this a year or so ago and I think your note is spot on. Glad you enjoyed.

Troplong Mondot sounds like a character in a Lord of the Rings movie.

The '98 TM I had last year during a RB 1998 vintage anniversary tasting with the local Bordeaux group was not nearly as good and leaned more on the modern side to my taste. I hope ours wasn’t a representative as I’ve 2 more in the cellar.

I agree it is made in a more modern style. Too generic for my taste; thankfully I have only one bottle left which will go into a blind tasting of 1998 Right Bank in 2023.

I opened the wine around two hours before serving. Serving temperature was about 15°C / 59°F. I assume that lower temperatures are helpful to give the 1998 Troplong Mondot a classical appeal.

You are right; it does make excellent ice cubes champagne.gif newhere

[wow.gif] [neener.gif]