TN: 2008 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Rabajà

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Rory K.

TN: 2008 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Rabajà

#1 Post by Rory K. » July 10th, 2019, 8:21 pm

• 2008 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Rabajà - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (7/10/2019)
    A fabulous, ethereal Barbaresco that is in a perfect place for my own taste, but will go for a couple decades more. TLDR, don't be ashamed to open this one now with a decant if you like a bit of grip and acid.

Color was a classic deep brick red with some faded garnet at the edges. Showing some development.

Right away this was a firecracker to smell, but also a bit hot and volatile so I slow ox'd for 4 hours and decanted for 1+. Started with spearmint, pine needle, and juicy red fruits, opening into a pretty delightful assortment of black tea, fruit leather, violets, and rose. After the decant it got meatier, and darker in character with fennel, mint, licorice, plum skins, and roasted hazelnuts.

The palate after the decant was weightless but powerful, with super fine but gripping tannin and freshness that exploded retro-nasally and was quite persistent. I love my nebbiolo to have that grip and freshness, and this had that without being shut down at all.

This is my second 08 that I've had in the last few years from Produttori (Pora was the last) and they are pretty thrilling, wish I had more than a fairly shallow cross section of the crus but such is life!
Posted from CellarTracker

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: TN: 2008 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Rabajà

#2 Post by Warren Taranow » July 10th, 2019, 8:56 pm

Rabaja is the only riserva I don't have from 2008. : (
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Rory K.

Re: TN: 2008 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Rabajà

#3 Post by Rory K. » July 10th, 2019, 9:48 pm

Warren Taranow wrote:
July 10th, 2019, 8:56 pm
Rabaja is the only riserva I don't have from 2008. : (
I backfilled from Vinopolis a couple years back, the Rabaja and Asili were at quite the premium :/
K i n n e a r

ITB

Return to “Wine Talk”