Americans dropping like flies...

According to Bill Nanson and the local paper in Beaune, Alex Gambal is selling his business to Boisset. I assume neither of his children were interested in the wine business, as was the case with Domaine Dublere. It’s a bit sad to see the efforts that went into creating these singular businesses rewarded only by cash, and not by continuity. That said, better that Gambal’s (and Pethel’s) kids do something with their lives that they’ll enjoy rather than continue something they would find less rewarding out of a sense of duty. There are a lot of children of Burgundian families who are not given that choice.

It’s a bit sad to see the efforts that went into creating these singular businesses rewarded only by cash, and not by continuity.

But cash is why you start a business, no? Nobody starts a business because they want to be barely making a living after ten years.

The kids aren’t interested, which is their choice. The parents didn’t force it, so seems like it worked out.

What business is that?

Sometimes people should not make posts about motives without facts.

But that’s no fun.

Without going into details, there are health issues involved in the Gambal situation.

Adam Lee
Clarice Wine Company

Strange title on this thread. I believe there were other considerations other than what was mentioned above. We tasted with Alex several years ago while we were in Beaune and he was always a very gracious host and a great winemaker. Hopefully he will get involved in something else.

Uh … are you familiar with the wine business?

You need to explain this one a little more Jack. [scratch.gif]

I think a lot of the children of Burgundian families aren’t given the choice to continue the wine business of their parents because of the confiscatory inheritance tax rates in France. I thought most of these businesses get sold because the family can’t afford to pay the taxes.

I hope Alex and Diane are doing well. Had a great Burgundy tour w her.