TN: '95 Jadot Chouacheux, '83 GPL, '16 Marchand Morey Clos des Ormes

In an effort to force myself to stop lurking less, a couple of Tuesday tasting notes from CT.

'95 Jadot Beaune 1er Cru Chouacheux
Indistinct nose of red fruits and some mild earthy secondary aromas. Palate is thin, shrill and more or less fruitless with nothing else going on to save it. I personally don’t think this wine is in a bad place, but rather, is either just past it or was not a good wine to begin with…guessing the latter.

'83 Grand-Puy-Lacoste
Definitely towards the end of life, but not at it quite yet, a proper old fellow. Nose is all tertiary with flint, graphite and a subtle green streak. Palate follows suit with some dark fruit in the background and stronger tertiary notes of leather and smoke. Still some tannic spine and acidity to keep things interesting and fresh. Not an amazing wine by any stretch, but enjoyable on a tuesday evening and nice to catch it. Obviously no reason to wait.

'16 Marchand & Tawse / Pascal Marchand Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Clos des Ormes
PnP. Dark red and blue fruits on the nose with some sweetness and a touch of heat present. Some sappy fruit with borderline sweetness in the mouth, touch of spritz on opening. Finishes with a bit more saline minerality. This lacks some lift, freshness and mid-palate stuffing…there is a general a sense of dullness.

Drying tannins on the backend, which I’m thinking will resolve with time, but they are somewhat astringent right now, and time might not help with that. Not bad, but I wouldn’t actively seek out more of this.

Josh, welcome to the forums. I’ve had similar thoughts on past Marchand & Tawse / Pascal Marchand wines. For me there is a bit of a sense that it was “over-polished” which I found dull if that makes any sense?

I’m with you on the Tawse Marchand wines. Dark, overextracted. Boring and lacking freshness.

Thanks for the welcome Kirk. This is the first experience I’ve had with the Marchand wines that I can remember, and I don’t have any other notes to tell me otherwise. Not sure exactly what was causing it, but just over-worked or “over-polished” certainly does seem like it could lead to that sense of dullness. I looked and CT says I have some '10 Fontenys that I grabbed on a flyer for a song, will be interesting in a few years to see if the same holds true for those.