Pinots with some age, a surprise and a shocker

2006 Jadot Nuits 1er Cru ‘Boudots’ – I rarely buy Nuits and rarely buy ‘off’ vintages. This was part of an auction lot. Lucky me! I didn’t know how big the difference was in ’06 between Beaune and Nuits. This is a beauty.
Medium dark garnet, no bricking at edges. Aromas feature black cherry, black raspberry and fresh-killed game. The palate is relatively light but surprisingly solid, the game isn’t there on the palate, but the reds fruits are out in force, along with some earthy, woodsy notes. Not big, but beautiful. Mature, but not in a hurry. Rated 92.

2000 J. K. Carriere Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley, Oregon – I got very lucky, but earned some of it and had help. Conducted a consumer tasting at a shop in Portland… Oregon, for a change. Needed a bottle for afterwards and saw that they had a bin of older Oregon wines. I was ready to pick up something else, but the owner steered me here. WOW! Thanks.
Light ruby color, moderate bricking at the rim. The aromas offer excellent intensity, with age but nothing tertiary or old. The fruit is red, major cherries, maybe even including Ranier, nothing remotely black. There are strawberries as well. The palate is almost shockingly fresh, with the vivacity of a world-class senior athlete. The flavors mimic the aromas, now with a big hit of earth and sous-bois. This is medium to full-bodied, ridiculous for a basic Oregon Pinot at 19 years. The finish lasts over half a minute. Fully mature. Rated 94.5. Bravo!!!

Dan Kravitz

Thanks for those interesting notes!

Jim Prosser’s wines don’t get much mention here, not as much as they deserve. I have a hard time keeping up with the vineyard designations. I have them in the cellar dating back to '02 and other than the Provocateur (a little too monolithic and fruit forward though enjoyable enough), I have loved every one I have bought off of retail shelves here in Low-High-OH.

Rats. Sold all the 2000 Carriere. Great notes.

Thanks for the notes Dan.

Bought several bottles of that Boudots a few year ago during a PLCB inventory purge…increasingly rare these days. The tannins were a bit rugged 5-ish years ago. Hopefully my remaining bottles are sound and similar to yours.

I’ve never fallen for J.K. Carriere wines…while typically not finding anything to dislike either. At almost 20 years of age and garnering 94.5 points…it speaks very well of the producer and terroir.

RT

Thanks, Dan. We were at Jadot in May and picked up a few of the 2008’s. Looking forward to trying a bottle when they arrive at the house.

2006 an off vintage [scratch.gif]

In my opinion 2006 was an off-vintage in the Cote de Beaune. As I rarely buy anything from the Cote de Nuits, I don’t follow their vintages, so did not know it was a good vintage there.

Dan Kravitz

My thoughts exactly. [scratch.gif]

Dan,

Where do you usually buy?

It was good to very good (not great) in the CdN … and not THAT bad in the CdB either … imho …

The Jadot Boudots is a real sweet spot in their extensive line-up for me. Price-wise it’s relatively affordable, and is always a high quality wine a tad under the radar for many folks. Estate vines (I think there is maybe also a non-estate bottling–Gerhard would likely know), and a wine that pulls in many qualities from neighboring Vosne. I know some folks find many Jadot wines a little underwhelming, but this one always performs very well.

John - Have you had the 2008?

Gus,

commercial post:

Being ITB and not fabulously wealthy, I am sadly reduced to mostly drinking the wines I import… when it’s Pegau, Champagne Jean Laurent and Cabirau from my own vineyard, it’s not a terrible hardship, but my book is short on Burgundy, while I am long on love of Burgundy. I get most of my Burgundy from distributors of my wines who have good portfolios of Burgundy, from a few trusted retailers who buy a lot from me in general and give me good deals, from a very few on-line retailers, most of whom are also customers, and at auction. I remember that I bought this at auction through Hart Davis Hart. Of the auction houses, I have found them very reliable, with competitive pricing. I have no commercial interest in any of the auction houses, as I have not consigned any wine to auction for 20 or more years.

Dan Kravitz

Dan: Thanks…I should have been a bit clearer in my question to you. What I was trying to ask was what specific areas of Burgundy do you usually favor…obviously Nuits is not one. [tease.gif]

Hi Gus,

Slightly commercial post:

My touchstones for red are the Appellations Beaune, Savigny, Rully (I represent a top grower in that village) and Santenay in that order. Prices are reasonable, quality is consistent (taking into account vintages), and availability is rarely an issue. I love Pommard and Volnay as well, but find prices inflated by fame. Within those towns, I find Courcel a source of great wines demanding bottle age, and d’Angerville a great producer whose wines now sadly sell for more than I’m usually willing to pay (but I spend the bucks on occasion). IMO, I freely say that the very greatest red wines of Burgundy come from Vosne, Gevrey and Chambolle, but I simply have other things to do with my money than to buy those wines. Renovating my guest cottage to make it a wonderful place for family and friends takes precedence over a single bottle of Romanee-Conti, even in a great vintage at maturity.

For white wine, I generally prefer Meursault to Chassagne and Puligny, but have drastically cut back my buying because I love these wines at 10 - 20 years, and cannot assume that they will live that long. I love Chablis, buy and drink a fair amount, alas mostly from the producer I represent. I would love to drink more Raveneau and Dauvissat, but not at 4 times my cost for the guy who’s wines I sell (which are half the price of those growers at retail). Saint-Aubin is now expensive, so I fish in the limited ponds of Pernand, Savigny, Beaune, St Romain, etc. for excellent whites at still sane prices.

Dan Kravitz

Thanks, Dan! Greatly appreciated. Although I am not new to wine drinking/collecting, Burgundy is an area I haven’t really explored much until this year. We spent about 10 days in Burgundy, N. Rhone, and Piemonte this past May and really enjoyed ourselves. I look forward to ‘diving’ deeper into the region.

BTW - Do you live in Harpswell? I travel up to the Rockland area for a client (Camden National Bank) a few times during the year.

Gus

Surprisingly, I don’t think I have. I bought a fair amount of 2008 and like the vintage, but for some reason I didn’t buy the Boudots, and haven’t had it in other settings.

+1. I’m a big fan of Northern NSG.

+1 on Jim’s wines not gettong enough love here. I tasted his 06 Gemini a few months ago and it was superb(from a vintage I do not typically enjoy)