TN: 2009 Bernard Dugat-Py Vosne-Romanée Vieilles Vignes

• 2009 Bernard Dugat-Py Vosne-Romanée Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée (7/9/2019)
    Heavily reduced and supremely youthful. Plenty of meat and musk that makes way for intense black and red fruits with air. There’s some floral spice and lots of tar. It has serious build, is deep and very long. Needs a couple of decades.

Posted from CellarTracker

Pretty standard for Dugat-Py in my limited experience, I hope I live long enough to try a mature example

There have been important changes there in the direction of textural finesse, gentler extraction and more moderate use of oak for the lower appellations, all the while retaining the emphasis on low yields and great vineyard work, so I would warmly encourage you to try the 2017s if you see them! I had a few thousand words about the evolution of Domaines Dugat-Py and Claude Dugat in the last issue of World of Fine Wine if you want all the details.

2012 was rhe last vintage imported into NZ William and ISO that is the latest vintage I own,
When did the changes start?

They have been incremental from around 2012 on, but most obvious with 2016 and 2017, especially the latter, as the suppler style of the vintage emphasizes the stylistic evolution. 2017 Charmes from bottle a few weeks ago, just to see, was quite lovely.