TN: 2004 Clos des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Posted from CellarTracker

My favorite producer in CDP, always seems to produce a wonderful wine. Glad to hear this vintage was no different. Haven’t had it in a while, but I remember liking 04 quite a bit.

Sounds like this is finally in a good spot. Nice. :slight_smile:

I pulled a magnum of this out a couple weeks ago to have with friends. Agree all the way with the poster, a great wine in a great place.

To be more specific, it was still tight upon opening. I gave it about 2 hours of decant before serving, and it continued to improve in the glass over the next hour. From a magnum this wine has plenty of life left well past 2030!

Interesting. I drank a bottle in late 2017 and one in early 2018. The first was a little oxidized and was porty. The second was just a bit porty. I wasn’t thrilled with either. Both were purchased on release and stored with temperature control.

“A bit porty” seems like it could easily be a typical description of many CdPs made in a larger style (and Clos des Papes falls into bottom end of that style). If the 2004 is “a bit” porty, the 2003 is actual port.

Interesting. I drank a bottle in late 2017 and one in early 2018. The first was a little oxidized and was porty. The second was just a bit porty. I wasn’t thrilled with either. Both were purchased on release and stored with temperature control.

I have had this wine 4 times and not a bad bottle yet. Do you have any left?

I liked the wine on release, and I like the vintage precisely because it tends to be less ripe. But my bottles didn’t pan out the way I’d hoped.

No. The experience with the first one scared me, so I opened my second and last bottle a couple of months later. It was perfect sound. I just didn’t care for that ripe, somewhat porty note. But others might not react in the same way. It certainly wasn’t like an '03 CdP.

I get the Porty note. Would agree not traditional CDP but seems like the vintages of the mid to later 2000s sometimes become high alcohol to appease Parker.