Zalto Champagne vs. White

For those that have both/ have used both. What’s your preference for champagne? I currently use GGG but find that the nose can be a little muted and the bubbles are pretty much gone, not that it really bothers me.

I have both and the white is a better glass for bubbles of all types.

My feelings as well.

What’s with the Zalto decanters? How do they justify high prices? Surely it has no useful features and is just attractive at best?

+1
Also better than the Zalto sweet wine glass

unless it’s for show, this is the only decanter you need:

and zalto white for bubbles, period.

Following. I use my GGG for champagne and I love it.

it really depends on the champagne. for my tastes, more than any other wine. i have the champagne, white, universal, and Bordeaux and they all have their merits for different champagnes, and they all show rather differently. i tend to prefer the champagne glass and the universal the most, it seems.

I agree with Yaacov.

I’ve brought multiple glasses to Champagne dinners and tried various Champagnes from different glasses. Sometimes I greatly prefer the Zalto Champagne glass, sometimes I greatly prefer the White Wine or Universal.

They emphasize different aspects of the Champagne. Unfortunately I can’t predict ahead of time which I’ll prefer.

+2

I’ve been trending more towards the Zalto Universal over the Zalto Champagne lately. My wife generally prefers the Zalto Champagne.

I also use both white and Champagne from Zalto, but have yet to try the Universal. I agree with Jay, but I will say that most often company prefers the Champagne. It’s a small study which may be largely based on custom or esthetics.

further, it’s interesting to see the champagne glasses that have been designed by various houses. the krug glass is kind of like a bigger version of the zalto champagne (and is a really fantastic glass) and the ruinart glass is also quite different. when DP launched the 2004 rose, they served it - to amazing results - in what we’d all consider a red burgundy glass. i suppose the bubbles, their size, pressure, etc., add a level of complexity re: glass optimization that still wines don’t have.

For older champagnes, I really prefer the Zalto sweet wine glass. Plus, I’m lazy and I can keep the same stem for the champagnes and sauternes.

I’m a fan of the Universal and the GGG. GGG is pretty much my go to for all wines.

Same can be said for virtually any decanter. A $1 plastic pitcher works just about as well as decanting as anything else, so beyond that you are just paying for handblown glass and design. I have a nice crystal decanter for special occasions but on a regular basis, I use a $20 glass carafe.

I use the Zalto Universal and love it.

+1

For a (refreshing) change, I am not the biggest wine nerd in the room!

We really need some kind of merit badge system, Jay’s diligence and thoroughness here would surely merit eagle status.

I thought comparing the GGG against the Zalto white and Zalto champagne glasses was pretty impressive, but it was done against a single Blanc de Blancs on a single occasion and included no other stems of any kind. I bow my in shame and realization that there’s the whole world out there I’ve been missing. The terra incognito of stemware, as it were. Vasco de Gama I ain’t.

Same here for the same reason, but sometimes I drink champagne in Universal, or some older ones even in Burgundy.

I use Zalto Champagne for Sake and the White for Champagne (also Universal if whites are unavailable).