TN: 2005 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Old Vines Summa

A very special bottle given to me by my wife at our engagement party. Now, as she turns 40, we decide to pop it and pair it with home grilled burgers. This was superb.

Each of the four times I’ve had this wine I have found it to be brash and bold but maintaining the intense acidity of the 05 vintage (that I love) which keeps it all together. Initially pouring a bit brown, it gained color and concentration with air but always carried a delicious tea flavor from the tertiary characteristics now developing (which are new and delicious).

This wine is special, not just because of the rarity, but because it has an amazing ability to be at once savage yet dignified…in short, though, it is delicious and I cannot thank my wife enough for finding a way to get this one into my cellar.
Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for sharing, think I have a vertical of this going back to the 2004, but never a time to open them as most years I was only allotted 1 bottle.

Thanks for the note. I’ve just started buying the Old Vines Summa with the 2017 vintage, is there a drinking window I should look at for this bottling? I found even the 2017 Sonoma Coast in need of bottle time.

I held on to a bottle of '08 Old Vines Summa until early this year, and it was spectacular. It really does reward you if you let it sit a while.

I’m sure others have their opinions but over the years I’ve found that while they can all drink well young, vintage + 10 has been a good rule of thumb on my RM single vineyard pinots. The Sonoma Coasts can be drunk anywhere along the way, but do fine with age as well.

In my experience this wine starts entering it’s peak window around 10 years of age and it should stay open for another 3-5 years. I’ve got a couple of ‘08s and I’ll open one in the next 6 months to see where things stand. Age is definitely your friend with this bottling.

My Sonoma Coasts rarely make it delivery + 10 weeks.