Anyone buying '08 Bollinger Grand Annee?

Apparently '08 Bollinger Grand Annee is hitting the Chicago market. I’m all over the '08 Cristal and '08 Dom. Anyone tasted the Bollinger yet? Price is significantly cheaper than either Dom or Cristal.

Not yet but really enjoyed the 02, so at the right price will be a buyer.

Bought three cases myself. It’s a terrific wine and arguably a bit undervalued.

Note that because of higher-than-usual demand they ended up having to disgorge more, sooner than they had planned, and it really does need some time to bounce back from disgorgement. The bottles I tasted in the US from one of the earlier disgorgements were quite a lot more open than those in my cellar in France that were disgorged more recently. It’s only a few months’ difference and I doubt it will show in a few years’ time, but right now it plays a little with how the wines show.

2008 Comtes will be coming out within the next 18 months, IIRC, and that is another one worth buying.

1 Like

Probably not. I have not been pleased with the aging curve in recent vintages, including on the '02.

William, what is your impression of their GA rosé? Never had one.

The 2008 Grande Annee is a big step in the right direction for Bollinger compared to other recent vintages/releases and is worth the price of admission. The wine is fruity, rich, balanced, and has a nice mineral edge. It does come across as slightly forward, but nowhere near the early maturing, oxidation, slightly volatile characteristics that have seemed normal for the house lately. They brought back the use of some sulphur at disgorgement and I think that has made a big difference. They also used a higher dosage than normal at 8 g/L which I also think helped. I’m a fan of this wine though I would still tred with caution on longer term aging. Bollinger hasn’t been more than a mid-term ager in a long while IMO.

In comparison to 08 DP and 08 Cristal, I don’t think it is anywhere near as good as those two and doesn’t have the same aging potential, but it is less expensive. Production is also a lot lower on the Grande Annee compared to DP and Cristal and, due to the economic conditions in 2008/2009, lower than most Grande Annee releases. Where this fits the bill nicely is for those looking for a bit more oomph or richness rather than the more elegant, classic lines of 2008 DP or Cristal.

Man, I wish I lived in UK. The prices there are so much cheaper.

Too many excellent grower 08s that were/are in the same price range. I’m glad to hear they’re apparently righting the ship here, but I wasn’t willing to take the risk.

Your mid-term is my short-term [tease.gif]

Last vintage I bought was 2002 and only in magnums.

Bought twelve mags of the 2008.

I hope you’re right about the sulphur and higher dosage changing their 20+ year slide into mediocrity. I miss those '60’s and 70’s Bolly’s. Fantastic Champagnes.