TN: 2011 Ridge Monte Bello (USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2385
Joined: April 30th, 2010, 2:13 pm

TN: 2011 Ridge Monte Bello (USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains)

#1 Post by Charlie Carnes » July 4th, 2019, 6:51 pm

  • 2011 Ridge Monte Bello - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (7/4/2019)
    I am in love with this wine and absolutely stunned at its near perfection! The wine is fairly dark in color, say black/purple, like the old producto fishing worms. As I tasted, the wine was closer to deep, dark red/black in fruit perception. OK, I drank this over a six hour period, all by myself. At first the wine was yummy, but young, and a little firm. I'll skip through all of the linear changes the wine went through, saying only that it grew, and became nuanced, and became something that the glass could barely contain. Toward the end, the black fruit was light, nimble, floating... it was textured, but fluid. There were myriad nuanced spices, like Christmas, and baking spices. Beautiful earth and soil perceptions. These all combined into a perfect swallow and followthrough. I just couldn't get enough of this mesmerizing 2011! (98 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9166
Joined: July 28th, 2009, 9:21 am
Location: LosAlamos, NM

Yup...

#2 Post by TomHill » July 4th, 2019, 7:27 pm

Yup, Charlie.. one of my very favorite MB’s as well. This was the on I recall that had a particularly high % of CS. Reminded of the old rustic MB’s of DaveBennion.
Thanks for the note.
Tom

User avatar
Chris V.
Posts: 510
Joined: July 31st, 2012, 6:40 am
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Re: TN: 2011 Ridge Monte Bello (USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains)

#3 Post by Chris V. » July 5th, 2019, 5:04 am

Tasted this on release at Monte Bello and was absolutely floored with it. Definitely felt like a throwback style with secondary notes galore. My note is also in CT, giving it a conservative 95.

Nice thing is I think it was overlooked with '11 being a "weak" vintage. At least here in my market it was discounted 20% from release pricing. So happy to have 4 resting in the cellar. It's also our wedding year so I'll be saving them for key anniversaries.

Glad you liked it so much and that it's holding up well.
V a n d e r m a r e l

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16731
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: TN: 2011 Ridge Monte Bello (USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains)

#4 Post by Howard Cooper » July 5th, 2019, 5:17 am

I tasted this and the winery (well, the winery at Lytton Springs) when it was first released and really loved it. Glad to see it is doing so well. Now, the question is when to drink mine.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 21272
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: TN: 2011 Ridge Monte Bello (USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains)

#5 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » July 5th, 2019, 5:23 am

So awesome, Charlie!

Bring one to our next gathering! Always wanted to try this vintage and regret not buying any. Some others whose palates I equally respect rave about it, too.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2385
Joined: April 30th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Re: TN: 2011 Ridge Monte Bello (USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains)

#6 Post by Charlie Carnes » July 5th, 2019, 3:58 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 5:23 am
So awesome, Charlie!

Bring one to our next gathering! Always wanted to try this vintage and regret not buying any. Some others whose palates I equally respect rave about it, too.

I brought the 1991 last time. It was overlooked... We opened Ilan instead. Pretty funny but that really happened.

But I would love to share one at our next gathering!
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 21272
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: TN: 2011 Ridge Monte Bello (USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains)

#7 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » July 5th, 2019, 4:00 pm

Charlie Carnes wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 3:58 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 5:23 am
So awesome, Charlie!

Bring one to our next gathering! Always wanted to try this vintage and regret not buying any. Some others whose palates I equally respect rave about it, too.

I brought the 1991 last time. It was overlooked... We opened Ilan instead. Pretty funny but that really happened.

But I would love to share one at our next gathering!
Dude. We were crunk. It was like 1 AM. Two bottles each. Fu trying to order chicken wings. Marc drooling like Patrick from SpongeBob. Ilan was a target for humiliation. And even after 2 bottles, Ilan sucked. ;)

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2385
Joined: April 30th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Re: TN: 2011 Ridge Monte Bello (USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains)

#8 Post by Charlie Carnes » July 5th, 2019, 4:03 pm

Visual Marc=Patrick Star... Said in a drooling voice,"OK Spongebob'"
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2385
Joined: April 30th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Re: TN: 2011 Ridge Monte Bello (USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains)

#9 Post by Charlie Carnes » July 5th, 2019, 4:04 pm

Chris V. wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 5:04 am
Tasted this on release at Monte Bello and was absolutely floored with it. Definitely felt like a throwback style with secondary notes galore. My note is also in CT, giving it a conservative 95.

Nice thing is I think it was overlooked with '11 being a "weak" vintage. At least here in my market it was discounted 20% from release pricing. So happy to have 4 resting in the cellar. It's also our wedding year so I'll be saving them for key anniversaries.

Glad you liked it so much and that it's holding up well.
Chris, I like your note. Don't you love "weak" vintages like this?
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Chris H.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 100
Joined: January 18th, 2018, 11:56 am

Re: TN: 2011 Ridge Monte Bello (USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains)

#10 Post by Chris H. » July 5th, 2019, 4:05 pm

Thanks for the descriptive tasting note! I opened a 2011 Ridge Monte Bello and a 2013 Ridge Monte Bello (Chardonnay) for the 4th of July, and found the 2011 to be fantastic! I should have watched it evolve over 6 hours, but it was gone with and after dinner quite quickly. I think it's drinking better than a 2006 or 2008 currently.
H a r r i s

User avatar
RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3344
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:20 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: TN: 2011 Ridge Monte Bello (USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains)

#11 Post by RyanC » July 5th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Close to release this was one of the best you CA wines I’ve ever had. Just astonishingly good. Sounds like it remains that way. I will try to pull one soon.
C@ughey

User avatar
lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1367
Joined: June 28th, 2014, 6:28 pm
Location: Santa Fe NM

Re: TN: 2011 Ridge Monte Bello (USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains)

#12 Post by lleichtman » July 5th, 2019, 7:15 pm

Still drinking mid 80's. Have my 3-pack allocation of 2011. Maybe open one up.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

User avatar
Jake Rubash
Posts: 384
Joined: August 5th, 2015, 10:12 am

Re: TN: 2011 Ridge Monte Bello (USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains)

#13 Post by Jake Rubash » July 6th, 2019, 12:29 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 4:00 pm
Charlie Carnes wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 3:58 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 5:23 am
So awesome, Charlie!

Bring one to our next gathering! Always wanted to try this vintage and regret not buying any. Some others whose palates I equally respect rave about it, too.
I brought the 1991 last time. It was overlooked... We opened Ilan instead. Pretty funny but that really happened.

But I would love to share one at our next gathering!
Dude. We were crunk. It was like 1 AM. Two bottles each. Fu trying to order chicken wings. Marc drooling like Patrick from SpongeBob. Ilan was a target for humiliation. And even after 2 bottles, Ilan sucked. ;)
This imagery tickled me, thanks for the laugh

User avatar
Larry Link
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 521
Joined: August 13th, 2010, 10:42 am

Re: TN: 2011 Ridge Monte Bello (USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains)

#14 Post by Larry Link » July 6th, 2019, 6:19 pm

Agree on the 2011, excellent note. 91, 01 and 11 are all great vintages of Monte Bello. I’ve been working on a Monte Bello tasting that will include all 3, flight of 90s, flight of 00s and a flight of 10s.

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16731
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: TN: 2011 Ridge Monte Bello (USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains)

#15 Post by Howard Cooper » July 6th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Charlie Carnes wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 3:58 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 5:23 am
So awesome, Charlie!

Bring one to our next gathering! Always wanted to try this vintage and regret not buying any. Some others whose palates I equally respect rave about it, too.

I brought the 1991 last time. It was overlooked... We opened Ilan instead. Pretty funny but that really happened.

But I would love to share one at our next gathering!
The 1991 is the best Monte Bello I have tasted. You guys did not suffer.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Joe Raymond
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 470
Joined: September 12th, 2013, 1:23 pm

Re: TN: 2011 Ridge Monte Bello (USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains)

#16 Post by Joe Raymond » July 6th, 2019, 8:04 pm

I just opened a bottle of this after the note and it was tasty but have to admit it was a bit fruity surprisingly, although somehow felt old world somehow? I feel like this can actually go a lot of years and is drinking way better than many 2011 reds in the area....I am hoping to hold the last bottle for close to a decade to see where it develops.
"That's what i do. I drink and I know things."

William Anzalone
Posts: 14
Joined: November 28th, 2018, 2:04 pm

Re: TN: 2011 Ridge Monte Bello (USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains)

#17 Post by William Anzalone » July 7th, 2019, 4:35 pm

Thanks for the review. I am a member of the Monte Bello futures club but didn't receive my 1st shipment until the 2016 vintage this past fall. Over the past few years I have sought out older MBs and have built a nice vertical. However, I didn't have the 2011 in my collection. After reading this post, i sought out the 2011 and found it on Benchmark in their bin sale for $150. Vinous lists the release price at $165 so I thought it was a decent deal and pulled the trigger to purchase. I'm not sure when the bin sale ends but if anyone is interested, there are 3-4 bottles left.

Thanks again for the review and everyone's comments!

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16731
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: TN: 2011 Ridge Monte Bello (USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains)

#18 Post by Howard Cooper » July 7th, 2019, 4:41 pm

I have the 2011 Klein in addition to some Monte Bello. Has anyone tasted that recently. I really liked it when I tasted it at the winery - better than the Estate by a good bit at the time and only a little more expensive but not as good as the MB.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Chris H.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 100
Joined: January 18th, 2018, 11:56 am

Re: TN: 2011 Ridge Monte Bello (USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains)

#19 Post by Chris H. » July 7th, 2019, 8:14 pm

William Anzalone wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 4:35 pm
Thanks for the review. I am a member of the Monte Bello futures club but didn't receive my 1st shipment until the 2016 vintage this past fall. Over the past few years I have sought out older MBs and have built a nice vertical. However, I didn't have the 2011 in my collection. After reading this post, i sought out the 2011 and found it on Benchmark in their bin sale for $150. Vinous lists the release price at $165 so I thought it was a decent deal and pulled the trigger to purchase. I'm not sure when the bin sale ends but if anyone is interested, there are 3-4 bottles left.

Thanks again for the review and everyone's comments!
Thanks for the heads up on the 2011 being available at Benchmark. It was drinking VERY well last week, but has many years of enjoyment ahead.
H a r r i s

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”