Anyone opening good wine for the 4th, or is it a beer day ?

As most everyone is celebrating in some fashion, I am curious if folks are opening up any interesting wines ? If I was attending a party outside, would be likely enjoying some ice cold beers, however we will be doing dinner tonight at my family’s house and everyone likes wine. so of course my job is to bring it.

I decided US wine is the only proper choice, and we are doing a surf and turf with steamed lobsters and Flannery Pave Wagyu New York steaks. Normally I like Champagne with lobster but my moms boyfriend is not a fan, so a chardonnay is in order. I decided upon my last prized btl of 13 Rivers Marie B Thierot Chardonnay. Hoping this bottle is as stunning as it was last time.

Having a bit more a tough time deciding on a red to accompany the beef. Was thinking a cab maybe a 2010 VHR or Bryant DB4 ? Or since the Wagyu should be very rich and we are serving it with a bernaise sauce, maybe an SQN Syrah ? Anyone have thoughts on which would work better ?

Any others drinking anything special or is it a beer, burgers, and dogs day ?

Today deserves something good so i just popped a Saxum 16 JBV to go with a Flannery Midwest 24 oz ribeye, im hoping the Saxum has that energy i so love in Justin’s wines, ive not drunk many 16s yet so im keen to see whats happening. Agrapart 2008 Ultra brut with some pan fried scallops for starters

I am not over keen on Syrah with Wagyu, its too much of everything, SQN with prime strip or ribeye yes but not Wagyu, i would stick with a cab it would be better balanced as a meal

Mid-week we usually don’t drink, but we probably will make an exception for the holiday and open a half bottle of something with burgers on the brill. Unfortunately, I don’t think we have a domestic half to open. I’ll scrounge something up

FWIW I prefer lighter, zippier reds with wagyu to cut through the fat

Tonight we’re doing old white burgundy and chartreuse slushies [cheers.gif]

Alan, agreed the Syrah might be too big and steal the show. I think as there are three of us sharing and 2 btls might not suffice, I will bring the VHR and something a bit lighter. Maybe a Dirty and Rowdy Mouvedre ?

C’mon, lighten up - it’s nearly friday!

Since Jool-lie 4th is an American holiday, we should celebrate with cider or Madeira.

So US wine is the only proper choice, but Wagyu is okay? [scratch.gif]

I will open the 2017 Geyserville. I haven’t tried it yet.

The French helped us gain our independence, so I am going to have some Champagne.

I’ll see if I can find a Zinfandel to open.

A little of this, a little of that… At our cabin with some other families.
377F2416-8266-43D7-8DB6-519F0B5BAE2F.jpeg

Opened a 2013 Bedrock Nervo. Have some 1977 Sercial Madeira to sip. Beyond that, maybe tmzome Tiki cocktails. It’s hot as hell in DC!

I was thinking the same. Lol

2017 Tempier Rose to start (no July 4th celebration without the French), and a 2011 Donelan Obsidian Syrah with burgers later.

Currently in England so enjoying some Aspall cider.

Having prime steaks later with a bottle of 2013 Mark Herold White Label

Granted the Wagyu beef is from Japanese Cattle. but aren’t they the same breed, originally brought over, but raised and bred here in our country ? Or does Bryan get the beef imported from Japan ? That would surprise me. Even if the Cattle originally came from overseas, I consider it American if they are now raised here. Sorry for my lack of knowledge but this is my first go around with the Wagyu Pave. I did have an amazing Wagyu Rib cap years ago that served several of us.

If I drink anything today it will be beer. Something domestic and craft - prob Heater Allen, maybe some Upright or Oxbow.

Well if you consider that cows themselves aren’t native to the USA but were bred from aurochs probably ten thousand years ago in Eurasia, but hot dogs (German) and hamburgers (German) are both considered distinctly American, most assuredly that Wagyu grown here is American. Ditto all the wines people are talking about - none of those grapes originate in the USA.

But from what was known as Hamburg steak, served in German restaurants in New York, somebody somewhere put it between two slices of bread and created the hamburger. Claims are Texas, Connecticut, Ohio and elsewhere, all due to the invention of a meat grinder by some German engineer. And hot dogs, or frankfurters, which are supposed to be made from pork but are now often made from beef, also were engineered into their current form in the USA. And of course there are earlier claims for both - the Romans and later the Mongols ate chopped meat and look at all the iterations throughout the middle east. Sausages too were made all over Europe and Asia. But since the Germans were the dominant influence in the 1800s US and we use their words for these things, we may as well go with them as the originators.

And fireworks of course were developed in China.

Seems like wine is a perfect accompaniment as we celebrate the country that took those elements from elsewhere in the world and turned them into American traditions.

Since we’re going to some friends who will make some hamburgers, etc., we’ll probably bring some Syrah because that’s what we like. Haven’t decided exactly what yet.

I’m joining the Bedrock bandwagon. Having folks over for a mixed bbq on the Weber kettle (homemade 5-spice brats, chicken thighs in 2 marinades, smoked pork chops, shitakes in ginger/garlic, tomatoes, spring onions). Opening a Bedrock Old Vines Zin, and probably another red after that, depending if folks are drinking more wine or other beverages.

And since the French gave us help, the white will be Pepiere Clos des Briords.