2008 Salon

According to Peter Liem’s post, 2008 Salon will only be sold in boxed sets including late disgorged 2004, 2006, and 2007 Salon. From the picture it looks like 6 bottles of other wines to purchase one mag of the 2008.

I probably wasn’t in the market for this given anticipated pricing but this just puts another nail in the coffin. I’m sure some single mags will reach the secondary market, but it seems like a very aggressive sales strategy and one that will limit the availability of the wine for most. I know bundling is a reality for some parts of the wine market but 6 bottles of salon to buy 1 mag is extreme.

Is there any more information on the reasons behind this decision? Did they have an unusually small production or something? Salon obviously isn’t massively produced but this is the equivalent of ~1300 6 bottle cases in production; not a lot at all.

Wow.

That really limits this to a very select few. I had an open order with my local wine guy for the 2008 Salon with the hopes that it would show up in regular distribution channels like DP and Cristal. He obviously had not heard this from his distributor. Guess my order won’t even get a nod.

at least I got some 08 Delamotte

They are releasing 8,000 magnums for the world. US release is slated for September 2019.

I’ll wait till Costco has it. champagne.gif

sucks that they didn’t think of the masses, us little people, and put it all in 375s instead.

Or 187mls…

I can’t afford to click on the picture of it.

I know they can do whatever they want as a business, but this seems like a shameless money grab to bundle unsold aka “late-disgorged” bottles of other Salon vintages at an even higher mark up. It’s brilliant but it’s still bundling to me.

I wonder what the true production was; even if it was down in 2008 I bet there’s still a tremendous amount being held back pending the success or failure of this little experiment

In the end I’d rather the producer capture the consumer surplus than have a big gap between allocation prices and secondary market prices

Thinking the same. Not like 08 was a short vintage.

I saw another Instagram post, looks like it is one bottle each of the 750s, and then the Mag of the '08. If I can find the picture I’ll post here.

How much is this going for?

if you have to ask . . .

Sucks.
Guess I’ll be forced to get more cases of 2008 DP.

champagne.gif

Agreed. The hype is frustrating. LVMH played games with the 02 Krug release. Six months after initial release (and the requisite press tour/hype), it was selling for $75-100 less per bottle here in DFW.

Yeah. Same as 04 krug. I’ve been receiving blow out pricing this year. As low as $190 a btl

8000 magnums…how does that compare to typical production quantities for Salon?

Usually around 60,000 bottles, so approximately 25%.