2018 Hofgut Falkenstein "Niedermenniger Herrenberg" Riesling Spätlese feinherb #4 - a Primaballerina on your tongue

I know it is not easy to find the wines of Erich and Johannes Weber, but try it.

2018 Hofgut Falkenstein “Niedermenniger Herrenberg” Riesling Spätlese feinherb #4

“The 2018er Niedermennig Herrenberg Spätlese Feinherb AP 04 (known internally as “Onkel Peter”) comes from ungrafted vines in the south-facing Zuckerberg sector of the vineyard, and was fermented down to 27-28 g/l of residual sugar.”

OMG…this is gorgeous. Crystal-clear, floating/light-footedness and such gracile. The palate will be wrapped in silk. The fruit is dominated by lime and grapefruit. Terrific balance between fruit and acidity. And what an elegance……

95/100

Gin Gin
Martin

Hi Martin. It’s been a while since we last communicated. I’m glad you like it. The parcel nicknamed Onkel Peter is actually ungrafted old vines.

Hi Lars,

good to know, I will correct it.

Indeed, quite a while. BTW, do you think there are 6 bottles of this Spätlese feinherb to find in the shop in Konstanz or elsewhere?

I had to deal with some serious health issues in spring and missed the chance to buy it. Let me know. DANKE

Alles Gute + Gesundheit,
Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks, I also let Mosel Fine Wines know that it’s from own-rooted vines.

No. elf, in Konstanz, only bought one wine but nearly the entire cask—namely, the 2018 Krettnacher Altenberg Kabinett feinherb. Weinkombinat Hugel, in Dresden, still has Onkel Peter (AP 4), but most merchants in Germany that carry Hofgut Falkenstein are already sold out of the off-dry and sweet wines.

I’m glad you’re feeling better.

Best,
Lars

P.S. perfect, just bought 6 bottles in Dresden.

That’s a smart move.

Will this see U.S. distribution?

I haven’t tried the '18 yet, but the '16 and '17 were both terrific. Can’t wait to get my hands on some of this.

Yes, various importers (including MFW Wine Co. and Farm Wine Imports) will offer this wine in the States.

Good to know. SKOL

champagne.gif

I have this wine in quantities. In case you drop by

Do you know when it will be offered in the States?

The wines should be offered later this summer.

Have you had #3? How does it compare?

Go to Mosel Fine Wines, they tasted all 2019s Last Spring.

Thanks for the update on this, sounds excellent. How do you folks think about the difference between spätlese feinherb and kabinett?

The Spätlese feinherb wines tend to be a little higher in ripeness levels and a little lower in residual sugar than the Kabinett wines, but there are exceptions.

How would anyone who has tasted the wines, compare 2017s and 2008s by the estate.